msn virus warning

smirnoff_rules

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
it appears a few members who use msn to keep in contact have been infected with a virus.
the virus is caught by clicking the link they send you in a message and downloading a file called photo.com
this file can evade some virus scans and so appears to be safe.
once opened it infects msn and spreads the same message to those in your contact list.

ooooooo think i got that lol
does it come up on the msn
"who put your pic up on this website" when u click shuts down msn

yea thats the one .. some antivirus software stops it like nod32

thanks for the warning my 3 girls and lad are on msn all the time every week i have 2 do a virus scan adware and spyware scan its a pain but glad i do it

you should never click any links in msn unless its a trusted friend that you are chatting to at the same time because theres always new exploits appearing and its way too easy to make a dodgy link look like its going to a legit site.
this time it was done by an amateur though but i can make any dodgy file undetected to all antivirus in less than a minute and i`m not the only one that can do this so you need to be wary of everything and regularly monitor your processes and whats running on your machine at startup, so its easier to spot if something new suddenly appears, also regular checks for rootkits will help since they can hide processes and services etc...
dont always trust your security software to save you because no antivirus/spyware/firewall is bulletproof, theres always a way around em if you know how ;)

thing is m8 when say your m8 gets the virus it comes from your friend without them knowing you think ur m8 is sending you a file then you get the virus

i got this virus today, took over 3 hrs to delete all traces of it from the pc and im still not sure its gone.. :( is a pain in the aRSe...

thing is m8 when say your m8 gets the virus it comes from your friend without them knowing you think ur m8 is sending you a file then you get the virus

well obviously dont accept any files from anyone till you have asked them exactly what it is
if you suddenly have a msg from a friend who you werent chatting to trying to send you a file make sure you ask them what it is exactly and make sure it is actually your friend on the other end.
most of these are just worm type programs that do the same old shit, they send a link to everyone in friends list saying look at this cool pic or whatever and move on to the next victim.
by asking questions you can make sure it is actually a safe file coming from your friend rather than from some self spreading bot that just pwned his account.

EDIT:

btw it could actually be using this 0day exploit LiNK
with that you would just need to visit a dodgy page and your screwed, this is 0day though and i dont know if its being used in the wild yet but it probably is.

Last edited:
cheers for the warning, i never accept anything via msn if i dont know them etc but if my msn crashed etc id need a doctor!!!

: shocked2 : shocked2

Back