MS Office - New Laptop

Malcolm-X

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been a Mac user for some time now, but just bought a new Windows Laptop for my kids and it was the Office software preinstalled and valid for a 7 day trial.

I was wondering if there's any way of getting a Key to activate the software rather than paying MS direct?

Apologies for the novice question, but not sure on the process nowadays.

Regards

Hi Willin,

Thanks for the link, I'll give this a go.

Would you suggest I remove the installed Office despite it being a Brand New Version pre-installed on the laptop?

Hello Mate, so long as the office install is not a cut down version and/or is what your after I would leave it, you could struggle a bit if your not familiar with windows though, you will probably need to turn OFF windows defender doing most of the things in the link on the thread I pointed to.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

BTW it is office 2019 isn't it?

Hello Mate, so long as the office install is not a cut down version and/or is what your after I would leave it, you could struggle a bit if your not familiar with windows though, you will probably need to turn OFF windows defender doing most of the things in the link on the thread I pointed to.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

BTW it is office 2019 isn't it?

Looking at it further it seems I have Office 365 installed and not Office 2019.

If I install Office 2019 can I still keep Office 365 on?

Looking at it further it seems I have Office 365 installed and not Office 2019.

If I install Office 2019 can I still keep Office 365 on?

I'm not sure mate TBH, one of the other lads may know more, I've done 19 but not 365 and don't want to bugger up your new set up. Sorry

Sounds like you got the Office 365 trial with the laptop, it's browser based but with the subscription you can install the desktop versions. Short answer is yes, you can keep both, but there's probably little point as with the subscription you'd install the latest version of Office in any case.

If it's for his kids he probably wants to keep it the same as what they are using at school.

Horses for courses I guess, I use Libre Office on the Linux boxes and Office 365 on the Windows boxes. The advantage of Office 365 is it can run fully-featured within a web browser so anywhere you can get on the Internet basically. Currently, if you install the desktop applications from the browser they are equivalent to Office 16. Additional applications within the subscription can include One Drive for cloud-based file storage.

If it's for school I'd check with them that they don't have a blanket subscription, many do, if so you may get cheap or free access.

Horses for courses I guess, I use Libre Office on the Linux boxes and Office 365 on the Windows boxes. The advantage of Office 365 is it can run fully-featured within a web browser so anywhere you can get on the Internet basically. Currently, if you install the desktop applications from the browser they are equivalent to Office 16. Additional applications within the subscription can include One Drive for cloud-based file storage.

If it's for school I'd check with them that they don't have a blanket subscription, many do, if so you may get cheap or free access.

Libre Office does not run access, and for me i can do far more and manipulate data in a DB than a spreadsheet

The database is an elective installation on some distributions. It's very similar to Access and file compatible.

BTW
Managed to follow the instructions from the above link and all seems to be working fine for now thanks.

I did uninstall Office 365 as every time I selected an application it started Office 365 rather than Office 2019 for some reason.

So far so good.

Thanks for all the support guys

Back