mpv or 4x4????

petedajag

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a merc sprinter van that is too big for what i use it for and i am selling it to either get a mpv or 4x4, but i can't decide????

Have looked at the mpv's (volkswagon sharan and touran. Also the chrysler voyager) and 4x4's (volvo xc90 and bmw x5, although just out my price range).

Anyone have mpv or 4x4 that they are entirely happy with? I am mainly looking for space rather than extra seats. My budget is around 6-7k.

Vauxhall Zafira has plenty of room as all the seats fold into the floor, cheap as chips aswell.

I have a merc sprinter van that is too big for what i use it for and i am selling it to either get a mpv or 4x4, but i can't decide????

Have looked at the mpv's (volkswagon sharan and touran. Also the chrysler voyager) and 4x4's (volvo xc90 and bmw x5, although just out my price range).

Anyone have mpv or 4x4 that they are entirely happy with? I am mainly looking for space rather than extra seats. My budget is around 6-7k.

pimped is looking for a van m8 have a word with him

If you are buying used consider one that runs on LPG.

It's easy to get now and about half the price of petrol so the running costs are cheaper than the diesel equivalent, plus lower C02 as well.

If the car has run long enough on LPG the engine will last as long as a diesel too. We had an old Merc E200 that wasn't even showing signs of wear to the engine after 275,000 miles with over 175,000 we put on running LPG.

If it's registered with DVLA as an "alternative fueled vehicle" you get a slight reduction in road tax and exemption from congestion charge (if you live in london or they introduce it elsewhere).

Both me & the mrs have had 2 4x4's and various cars over the last 13 years all running on LPG with no problems.

One problem is LPG cars aint allowed through the euro tunnel, but you can go on the ferry.

I have a s-max. Same length and width as galaxy but not as tall. Plenty of space and does not look like a mom-mobile. Very fun to drive. If you go for the 5 door version then you can have a sliding floor if you need to get stuff in and out often.

The only gripe I have is the price, mine cost £26k new, you can get a 2 year old 2l diesel zetec spec (go for titianium if you can) for around £13k to £14k and they hold their price well.

I hate Mpv`s And ive got a big famliy and need 7 seats, I found the 4x4 the best anwser. Mpg was poor but sitting high up lording over other drivers is nice, Better view of traffic ahead.etc, U feel safe driving it.
Plus its rugged enough Not to break with the abuse i and the kids give it.And how handy was it when it snowed.
I miss my old 4x4 pajero but i drive a merc 300 now, And want other 4x4 soon. ive even tried swappin the merc for a disco lol...

how much you selling the sprinter for mate ? got someone looking for one

I wasn't fishing for buyers buy the way, looking at it now it looks like i was.
I can't imagine anyone will be interested here, as its a 1997 and done over 200K. I would easily keep it as i have looked after it well, but its just getting used once a week and i end up using it as storage out my back. If anyone still interested let me know before i put on ebay.

Not sure about zafira, i've known people that have had them and got shot of them pretty quickly.

LPG is defo an option 60p a litre! Seen a ford maverich and a grand cherokee for my budget on autotrader.

smax could be good option seen 2007 model for 9k

Defo going for a volvo xc90 or bmw x5 if i can get a good price, my budget seems to be increasing by the hr!

Anyone know of any salesof above, let me know, cheers.

I drive a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD. Very comfortable. Fuel economy sux but they are amazingly reliable. Plus people get out of your way when driving down the lanes.

I have a Jeep Cherokee 2.5crd limited. Not as much space as the grand cherokee but still has bags of space for you and passengers.

I would never go back to 2wd just prefer the driving position you get with a 4x4 also being 6'3 its not a good luck having to unfold yourself out of a sports car.

Roads near me seem to be getting worse by the day so has advantages for that too :)

If you want a 4x4 with plenty of space then I would recommend an Isuzu Trooper, great motors and loads of space (a lot more room than a Shogun or Pajero).
The only thing I would say is that they are thirsty beasts but a gas conversion would mean twice the mileage for the same cost at the fuel pump.

Has anyone had a LPG conversion done to a petrol engine? Was there a knock on performance?

Back