Mountain Bikes??

hoppy

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Last week ma old diesel Rovers MOT failure list looked like a pools coupon so with 200,000 miles on the clock it was off to the big place in the sky.
Am lost without it and its highlighted how unfit i am, i am sooo unfit its scary.
Its also shown me how mega shit public transport is, what a total joke..

The government likes to bang on about using public transport but if you do funny hours like me then its feckin impossible as it doesn't exist.
Ive been lucky as the missus picked me up a few times but i had to walk today and when a got home a was clapped out.
A was covered in sweat and puffing like an old boiler and embarrassed.

So a could buy another old clunker but instead am going for a mountain bike as a need to get fit again.
My problem is a know nothing about them and a don't want the sales guy to pull ma pants down..

Any advice would be appreciated and i have roughly £300 to spend..

Thanks

That looks no bad Eva, its listed as having hundreds of mountain bikes.
Thanks

There's always this. For the money this is a good bike, the only let down is its listed as local collection only. I would try contacting the seller and see if he's willing to send it to you. Otherwise there are plenty to choose from in your price range on eBay. You need to measure your inside leg and this will give you an idea as to which frame size is suitable for you. You can find a good bike sizing guide here, and if the bike is to be used for riding to work and back on the roads then your probably better off with a Hardtail and not a Full Suspension.

Regards

Liam

There's always this. For the money this is a good bike, the only let down is its listed as local collection only. I would try contacting the seller and see if he's willing to send it to you. Otherwise there are plenty to choose from in your price range on eBay. You need to measure your inside leg and this will give you an idea as to which frame size is suitable for you. You can find a good bike sizing guide here, and if the bike is to be used for riding to work and back on the roads then your probably better off with a Hardtail and not a Full Suspension.

Regards

Liam

Thanks for the advice mate, that sizing link looks very useful.
It will only be used for roads and cycle paths, 7 miles a day approx..
Cheers

not into bikes myself but i would say dont get a full suspension one as you dont need it better spending the cash on a light frame as suspension decreses the power from the pedal :)

not into bikes myself but i would say dont get a full suspension one as you dont need it better spending the cash on a light frame as suspension decreses the power from the pedal :)

Trust me mate a need all the help a can get,,any extra power is good as the engine riding it needs a good service..

I know a couple of people have mentioned the 'cycle to work' scheme and I know you said your boss wouldn't be interested, but timing wise it is perfect for you pal because the initial flood of bikes that were bought on the scheme are now coming to the end of their 18 months purchase timetable.

That means that there has been a flood of nearly new bikes on the market (eb.ay etc) as most people are selling off their 'old' bike and renewing on the scheme again (as I will be!).

Its a buyers market atm pal.

I would also suggest a hardtail mountain bike or a hybrid which is something between a road bike (a 'racer' in old money) and a mountain bike.

:)

Is that subsidised cycle to work scheme limited to Halfords bikes only or is that just the company I work for?

Halfords, with their £3,000bike which had LX parts on it. Ask Draca, it's true.

You would be better off with something more like a road bike, mountain bikes can be the wrong shape for efficient road riding. You want tyres that don't offer much road resistance too.

Is that subsidised cycle to work scheme limited to Halfords bikes only or is that just the company I work for?

Halfords, with their £3,000bike which had LX parts on it. Ask Draca, it's true.

You would be better off with something more like a road bike, mountain bikes can be the wrong shape for efficient road riding. You want tyres that don't offer much road resistance too.

No pal the scheme is open to any shop that has entered it, not just Halfords.

If he is an inexperienced cyclist then I would not recommend a road bike for his 7mile commute tbh, you have less control in traffic and feel every pothole through your wrists.

If he is an inexperienced cyclist then I would not recommend a road bike for his 7mile commute tbh, you have less control in traffic and feel every pothole through your wrists.

It's just my backeard company then LOL.

I didn't mean a racer, just something with more of a road geometry than a typical mountain bike and probably a slightly larger frame.

you got a stutter spectre ?
posting everything twice m8. :)

I suggest going to a local bike dealer, they will be able to advise on the correct frame size, what types of tyres are best, any accessories that will be useful, etc

Most have a selection of second hand trade-ins as well.

As most of the others have said, I would say rear suspension saps power and for most road user makes things worse.

Also I would not waste money on thousands of gears. You don't need so many for road use and more things to go wrong.

Finally if you really need assistance to cycle, £350 to £400 will just about stretch to a second hand electric assisted bike.

Miracles will never cease, a suggested it to the boss man and he has agreed to join the scheme and asked me to email the other department heads.
He thinks its a brilliant idea Messa which does suprise me as he never gets excited about anything.
One of our line workers is right into mountain bikes so he will be nominated as chief technical director.
Delegation is a great thing....

Thanks for the advice guys you have all been very helpful.
A cant wait to get cycling again and get fitter...

Last edited:
Back