mount usb problem 7025+

Just as well you posted it all, the bit we want is:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Strange it can't read the partition table. What version of windows did you use to format? Anyway, type :
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
and post the output.

It looks like we might have to use the whole, unpartitioned disk. But I don't know if it'll work properly.

Last edited:
OpenDreambox 1.5.0 dm7025

dm7025 login: root
root@dm7025:~# ls -lR /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0:
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 lun0

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0:
brw------- 1 root root 8, 0 Jan 1 1970 disc
root@dm7025:~#

Hmm, I think we might be buggered. Basically, the last command has shown that the device is being created properly, (i.e. the disc device is present), but from what you've tried before, you can't use the whole disk unpartitioned (I'm guessing that's why the mount command failed). I've just had a look at the tuxbox cvs source, and by default the PC partition type isn't enabled. Neither is the FAT32 filesystem.

I can see two ways to proceed (or at least try).
1. Rebuild an image for your box that has the required components installed (not something to try without linux experience). I don't know if there's any other images around with this support built in. Maybe someone else could comment.
2. Get hold of a linux box and partition and format the usb disk from there. A live boot cd would be fine. The problem is though, even if you did that, I'm not sure that the partition would be detected properly.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this is as far as I can get. Sorry mate. Someone must have done this before with a usb stick. But without a box myself I don't know what to recommend. Sorry

Good luck.

Well, I just tried using an unpartitioned usb flash disk for this on my linux PC, and it worked fine. I wonder if the problem is just the stick you're using? Have you got another one you could try?

I've been having a read and it may be that the image isn't ready to mount the usb pen when it boots.

But why does it not mount after bootup?

Try these commands in telnet...

mkfs.ext3 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
mount /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc /var/mnt/usb

many thanks for all your trouble
the oozoon cvs image is supposed to autodetect but there must be a bug
as you say we can only hope that someone will pick up this post and give us an answer

As it's set to auto detect on boot, as I said, the bug is that it's not ready to mount when it tries too.

A 'sleep 1' command needs to be added before the mount commands in /etc/init.d/rcS.

But this directory is read-only so you won't be able to edit it, it needs to be amended at source before image is compiled.

If you try the command in the above post and you get a 'failed: no such file or directiory' error, try going into /var/mnt and creating a 'usb' folder, then try command again.

I see what you're saying about mounting too early, but as you said, why doesn't it work from the command line? Very strange, especially as the image is specifically supposed to support usb devices.

hi

are you sure its not the image :)

have you tryed the lt image .third challenge .

in that image there is a script i think to mount the usb stick

ive had a usb stick mounted on my dm7025 with this image :)

i read on other places before some usb sticks just will not mount for some reason

what ever format there in

hope this helps :)

I have tried 2 sticks a Kingston 1gb and a scandisk 1gb
there is not a folder /var/mnt however on the parent directory thereis a short cut mnt which send you to the media folder but there is not a folder mnt shown but there is a folder usb
if this image does not mount usb sticks will it have the same problem with a cf card which i do not have at the moment?
does anyone know if the original dm.de image supports usb and cf?
I want a stable image on the box and to multiboot from either a usb or now possibily a cf card
bit trying this problem
cheers

I would try what westkill suggests, he has it running fine so try that.

I read that a compact flash card will work even if usb doesn't.

thanks for all your help
will flash a new image if cf card does not work after christmas

merry christmas to all

Back