Motorised Satellite Dish Install

David1974m

Inactive User
Reaction score
Is their any setup guides on how to install a motorised dish using a octagon receiver SF8008 and has anybody got one, what’s the performance like, does it allow card sharing clines etc. Thanks guys

Is their any setup guides on how to install a motorised dish using a octagon receiver SF8008 and has anybody got one, what’s the performance like, does it allow card sharing clines etc. Thanks guys
regard on youtube and google for middle satellite elevation and azimut depend on your location. good luck.

Yes ive got the Octagon. You can not fault it at the price. Use any emu and has ITPV options mine the twin sat tuner model.

Brief guide to dish install.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There is a guide here by William 1 although i dont agree with point 4. With a usuals motor and the correct coordinates in the receiver just send the motor to 0.8 west not zero. He as to adjust his longitude later in the guide because he used Zero so hes not tracking the arc correctly doing that.

Set up guide for maximum signals on a motorised dish >>

Part-1
1/ Pole must be dead vertical in 360 degrees ( use a spirit level ),
2/ Dish mounted dead central on the motor spigot,
3/ Motor set at the correct Elevation for your location for maximum signal at your reference satellite,
4/ Motor at zero on the scale when aimed at your reference satellite,
5/ Dish Declination set for maximum signal at your reference satellite,
6/ Lnb set in the correct position for max signal(Move Lnb fully forward & Back while viewing a meter for max signals)
7/ Site dish so that you have an unobstructed view of the Satellite Arc,
8/ Tighten all bolts when you have achieved maximum signal on all Satellites in your Satellite Arc.
Part-2
A normal motorised dish installation is very straight forward for receiving the major satellites 42 east,39 east,28.2 east,19.2 east,13 east 5 east 1 west 5 west & 30 west,
But the feed hunter is looking for feeds that are sometimes very weak signals so the dish/motor set up is more critical than a normal installation,
I have found this method to be the most successful after you have established that the pole is dead vertical,
The dish is mounted dead central on the motor spigot,
Your motor elevation is set for your location (use as a guide only) & maximum signal was achieved on your reference satellite by altering the the dish declination & USALS settings of Longitude & Latitude then check out the Lnb position in the Lnb holder is giving you the best possible signal by moving the Lnb fully forward & back to achieve this whilst viewing a signal meter we then move on to stage two,
As the scales for the motor elevation & dish declination are just a guide & not an accurate measuring scale so with the Longitude & Latitude can be altered slightly to improve your dishes ability to track the arc more accurately as with all guides you may find a slight variation on my finding will enable you to track the arc more accurately,
To improve your motor's capability to track the Clarke Belt / Geostationary Satellite's on the Arc make sure that the Motor has been clamped in the correct position to make tracking the arc accurately possible,
Try this to find out if your dish is set up correctly:-
Go to 30 west or the furthest West your dish will travel now while viewing a signal meter lightly flex the dish back at the top if the signal goes up or down make a note of this now do the same with the bottom of the dish & make a note of what happens,
Now go to 36 east or the furthest East your dish can travel & flex the dish as above,
If your findings are that the signal gets better on the East satellites when the dish was flexed back & the signal gets better on the West satellites when the dish was flexed forward then the motor is fixed to the wrong place on the mast to correct this change your USALS @ your reference satellite from say 0.07 Longitude to 0.4 Longitude now slacken off the motor fixing bolts & move the motor a few mm either way to achieve maximum signal,
Now check you East & West satellites again for maximum signal if it is better then tighten up your Motor at the new position if not then change your USALS to 0.0 Longitude now slacken off the motor fixing bolts & move the motor a few mm either way to achieve maximum signal,
Then check your East & West Satellites again for maximum signal.
Once you have established that you are tracking the Arc more accurately you can fine tune your dish / motor set up by changing USALS by 0.3 to 0.6 from your current best setting then slacken off the motor fixing bolts & move the motor a few mm either way to achieve maximum signal,
Settings for my location should be Longitude 0.07 East & Latitude 51.7 North but I track the arc more accurately with Longitude 0.4 East & Latitude 51.7 North as I said scales are just a guide line & you must use your own common sense & judgement when setting up a motorised satellite system to track the arc as accurately as possible,
After completing these fine tuning adjustments your 90 to 100cm dish will now pull in the weaker signals on 10 east,16 east ect & probably work better than a 120cm dish that has not been set as precisely as this,
Happy Feed Hunting

I would of thought he had sorted it after 2 years 🤣

I would of thought he had sorted it after 2 years 🤣
His forum is full of so called sat installer experts but allow that guide to stand :confused:

He's a good lad william1 but im shocked he missed that. And it did not strike home when he needed to tweak his longitude setting.

Only time i send to zero on a usuals motor is to get the dish and motor straight.

His forum is full of so called sat installer experts but allow that guide to stand :confused:

He's a good lad william1 but im shocked he missed that. And it did not strike home when he needed to tweak his longitude setting.

Only time i send to zero on a usuals motor is to get the dish and motor straight.
I was talking more about the OP 😉

Good set up guide tho.

Back