Motorbike Protest - 25/9 - M25 Other way round ...

Rs2k_Rider

DW's Resident Medic
Reaction score
"M25 - The Other Way Round - Still Standing & Being Counted" - Saturday 25th Sep

Guys,

Am delighted to OFFICIALLY announce

that the "M25 - The Other Way Round - Still Standing & Being Counted" will be held on....

SATURDAY 25th September 2010

and will run ANTI-CLOCKWISE from Sth Mimms Services to ....er....Sth Mimms Services leaving at 10am & ETA (with emphasis on ESTIMATED) return at 4pm.

There will be the same 2 stops (1) Clacketts Lane, and (2) Thurrock.

Once again, we will issue badge-type stickers to note your involvement (and will ask for a donation to the fighting fund of £2)

NTBPT will sell its own water, bibs & stickers from the truck, so please support the cause.

This cannot happen without YOUR help - so, spread the word about the 25th

Gotta get back to "sticking-it-to-WCC", so, speak soon

So .... Who will join us ? Last time was an amazing day :D the feel, sound and sight of 1500+ bikers taking over the M25 and service stations was just unreal !

This parking charge will spread across London and other areas if allowed to continue. Even if you do not know much about the cause, its a great day with great people :)

I will be there ! Even if it is on the back of a CBR600 for 9 hours again PMSL

Last edited:
I won't be there.
I don't understand why you think you shouldn't pay ?.
Sound like a load of freeloaders to me.

You will want to be exempt from road tax and insurance next.

lol I have often thought certain bike/scooters should be exempt

a small cc scooter for instance,I would think emits lower emissions than the lowest emission car that is exempt from road tax ?
so why isn't the small cc scooter exempt ?

I would have to search to back up my claims so Im just typing out loud ;)

I won't be there.
I don't understand why you think you shouldn't pay ?.
Sound like a load of freeloaders to me.

Nothing to do with Freeloading ellie. There is ALOT of reasons why bikes should not pay parking charges for bay that were free. To list just a very few

1) Westminster city council stated that this charge would pay for security.... it has not, many bays have no form of security.
2) You HAVE to pay by card/mobile phone.... As strange as it may be, many people do not have both... have one or the other, not always both.
3) Motorcycles do not cause congestion, hence why we are exempt from the congestion charge... yet Westminster City Council state that they have started this charging to control congestion ?
4) The scheme made a loss of over £400,000, confirmed in court and through freedom of information requests (not certain on exact amount at present).... yet the funds from the running of the scheme go to private companies and not the City.

Make your own mind up lol, If car driver (yes I drive as well) stood up and were counted like this then the likely hood that parking charges in Whitechapel would be £3.50 PER HOUR now... and more in Westminster...

Remember parking charges started in Westminster for cars and were only around 50p to begin with... maybe less...

Why should a bike pay then ellie?

For me the question is why shouldn't it ? (glad to see you can make posts without swearing).

@Rat for small bikes maybe but many of the bikes going in between the cars every night on the A2 when i'm coming back from Lewisham are not small bikes, some have bigger engines than my car.

@Rs2K_Rider
on point 2 they should make alternative payment methods available.

For me the question is why shouldn't it ? (glad to see you can make posts without swearing).

@Rat for small bikes maybe but many of the bikes going in between the cars every night on the A2 when i'm coming back from Lewisham are not small bikes, some have bigger engines than my car.

@Rs2K_Rider

Agreed ellie, but to charge for something they need to provide a service... they are not lol.
Look at these pictures one just one bay... there are many like this... Would you be forced to pay to park your car in this ?

DSCF4207.jpg

Bike bays are too small to safely park the bike, as stated very very few have security devices.. be it ground anchors or railings...

Lastly, the pay by phone system at times has taken over 30 mins to get a payment taken ! lol So, while your on the phone some kind warden gives you a ticket... and yes this has/does happen. Have a read over on the NTTBPT site :(

I'm with ellie on this, pay up just like cars. There is no reason why I should have to pay to park in my car and a biker allowed free parking, doesnt matter if its the way it used to be, it was wrong then.

No sense saying you take up less space, my car takes up less space than a truck or minivan but we pay the same fee and pay by phone is used for cars aswell.

Good luck with your day out though, cant see you winning or getting many supporters from motorists if you disrupt their journey.

I'm with ellie on this, pay up just like cars. There is no reason why I should have to pay to park in my car and a biker allowed free parking, doesnt matter if its the way it used to be, it was wrong then.

No sense saying you take up less space, my car takes up less space than a truck or minivan but we pay the same fee.

Good luck with your day out though, cant see you winning or getting many supporters from motorists if you disrupt their journey.

This is the blinkered attitude that gets US car drivers shafted EVERY year over, Road tax and Insurance hikes.... let alone parking charges LOL

This is the blinkered attitude that gets US car drivers shafted EVERY year over, Road tax and Insurance hikes.... let alone parking charges LOL

Blinkered, I have never known a time I didnt pay car tax so it was already there, insurance hikes, tell the scammers to stop and watch rates fall, parking charges...well it only seems fair to apply the rules to all motorised vehicles...or are bikers special or something. Please enlighten me to why it would be fair for you to park a motorbike free and a car have to pay.

Blinkered, I have never known a time I didnt pay car tax so it was already there, insurance hikes, tell the scammers to stop and watch rates fall, parking charges...well it only seems fair to apply the rules to all motorised vehicles...or are bikers special or something. Please enlighten me to why it would be fair for you to park a motorbike free and a car have to pay.

I shall await someone more experienced in the campaign than me to answer the questions in more depth jaffa.

But in short, cars are given correct size adequate bays to park in ? correct ?

Bikes are expected to park in spaces less than 2ft wide... which is the sizes the bays are segmented into to allocate spaces.. This causes more often than not damage to bikes, and some bikes just cant fit into the bays.

Motorcycles dont congest, so the government should encourage their use... not restrict people that do not have credit card/mobile phone. I do not have a credit card and can not get one, thus can not pay... thus can not legally park.....

Yes road tax has been about for a long time, agreed. But the rises year on year go up and up because no one makes a stand... as per my point earlier, car parking charges were small when they begun in Westminster 20 odd years ago.... yet they have risen at a huge rate between then and now. As said above, I hope one of the more knowledgeable people will pop in to give figures that are backed up with proof as I do not know these off top of my head.

lol I have often thought certain bike/scooters should be exempt

a small cc scooter for instance,I would think emits lower emissions than the lowest emission car that is exempt from road tax ?
so why isn't the small cc scooter exempt ?

I would have to search to back up my claims so Im just typing out loud ;)

its only green cars that dont pay, And not the colour green..lol

I don't think we do get shafted. I only started driving in 2003 when I was 40 and I find it cheaper to drive and much more convenient than using public transport as I had done since 1979 when I left school .

I drive a modest car so costs are low.

car parking charges were small when they begun in Westminster 20 odd years ago....

Everything is dearer than 20 years ago it's called inflation.

Last edited:
its only green cars that dont pay, And not the colour green..lol

:Clap::feck:

Good one lol

My bike is a 125 cbf. Does 260 miles per tank and holds 13 ltrs I think... so does much much better fuel economy than a small car Id think ! yet its £15 per year.

Dont mind paying it, and have not moaned about road tax... if they start to try putting it up to say £30 per year I would do... .as would many others I expect. Bigger bikes cost more as per emissions I believe.

I shall await someone more experienced in the campaign than me to answer the questions in more depth jaffa.

But in short, cars are given correct size adequate bays to park in ? correct ?

Bikes are expected to park in spaces less than 2ft wide... which is the sizes the bays are segmented into to allocate spaces.. This causes more often than not damage to bikes, and some bikes just cant fit into the bays.

Motorcycles dont congest, so the government should encourage their use... not restrict people that do not have credit card/mobile phone. I do not have a credit card and can not get one, thus can not pay... thus can not legally park.....

The picture you posted looks inadequate spaces (I will agree with that), but it could also be just the way some bikers have parked their bikes which is wrong, 1st blue bike on left looks fine, 1st bike on right looks ok, so why did 2nd bike on right park halfway over 1st bike. Personally if I drove to a space and there wasnt enough room to park, I would NOT park on top of another car or halfway over it where damage may be caused to my car. Surely thats common sense.

If you are going to win anything, it will be better areas to park, marked out better and even a reduced fee as you are using very little space but I cannot see fees being abolished for bikers.

As for the payments...I fully agree with you and it has been on Watchdog a few times for cars aswell as bikes, if you dont have a CC or a mobile then you are stuffed....the future went backwards on that one (imho)

I don't think we do get shafted. I only started driving in 2003 when I was 40 and I find it cheaper to drive and much more convenient than using public transport as I had done since 1979 when I left school .

I drive a modest car so costs are low.

this is the thing Ellie. Choice :) People that cant use the pay by phone system (the only way to pay) have to use public transport now as they have no choice :( or park miles from their location, which kinda misses the point of using a motorcycle in the first place. Many other citys around the world provide free parking for motorbikes and in fact some allow them to park on the footpaths as long as they are in a safe position.

Look back over how much more driving costs each year just on tax's and hikes alone :( and compare that to other countries, we get taken well and truly for a ride ! Im sure you wont think we dont get shafted when the govt sell off roads and we get charged for them like toll roads ! :( will happen, its just when.

The picture you posted looks inadequate spaces (I will agree with that), but it could also be just the way some bikers have parked their bikes which is wrong, 1st blue bike on left looks fine, 1st bike on right looks ok, so why did 2nd bike on right park halfway over 1st bike. Personally if I drove to a space and there wasnt enough room to park, I would NOT park on top of another car or halfway over it where damage may be caused to my car. Surely thats common sense.

If you are going to win anything, it will be better areas to park, marked out better and even a reduced fee as you are using very little space but I cannot see fees being abolished for bikers.

As for the payments...I fully agree with you and it has been on Watchdog a few times for cars aswell as bikes, if you dont have a CC or a mobile then you are stuffed....the future went backwards on that one (imho)

with regards to the bay, the bikes would of all been parked like the 2nd from left (scooter) ... until one got knocked over and they all ended up in a heap. There was room between them I am told, but when one is knocked over they all go :(

Inadequate space is the issue, WCC (westminster city council) dictate how many bikes park in each bay, but you just can not fit that many in... in saying how many per bay, they have removed other bays as they say they have provided X amount of "spaces" ... those spaces being in a small bay. So you are left with no where to park ! lol

@Rs2K_Rider

My question to you why should they pay?

i have my resons why they shouldnt but i cant see a good reason for charging a bike ?

Aye i can make posts occasionally with out swearing, congradulations for having no life to notice :)

i have my resons why they shouldnt but i cant see a good reason for charging a bike ?

Aye i can make posts occasionally with out swearing, congradulations for having no life to notice :)

Tell us why they shouldnt pay when cars have to pay....please bear in mind that my car is not as big as a transit van so size if not a valid reason, I dont get any discount cos I have a small car.

I think its only fair they should pay, if they dont then cars shouldnt either...and thats not going to happen.

If a car has to pay then why not a bike ?.

How can I not notice when it's in a thread I was interested in ?. I do swear myself but not here as any age group can read the posts.

Back