Motorbike CBT entitlement ???????

carlos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I am doin a bike course at the moment and have now got my CBT. I know you can only learn on a 125 cc with this but can you get a say 500 - 600 cc bike and get it restricted and put L plates on it on drive round with it ?? I have phoned DVLA and they said YES, Went to bike school and they said no, phoned DSA and they say YES ?????????????

Anyone actually done this ?

You can only ride it with an instructor while you are learning. Not on your own. AFAIK. Just done my DAS course and passed my test yesterday woohoo

yea m8 thats what i am doin but me test aint till Aug. just wanted to get a bike and loads of practice in, then could have got unrestricted once i have passed.

Well for direct access you need to sit your test on a 500 + so you should be out learning (with an instructor) on a similar machine.

Unfortunatly without the instructor you are limited to a 125 or 33 hp.

a2 test is where you take the test on a 125cc and then are restricted to 33bhp for 2yrs then you can automatically ride anything after that.but you can buy a restriction kit for most bikes to drop it down ie from 80 bhp to 33bhp
a1 test is the Direct access which you can jump on any bike after passing

Last edited:
Back