motability car?

I don't know anyone on the scheme but from what I've picked up you are supposed to only use the car to ferry your nan about or doing errands for her (e.g. picking some shopping up). Mileage is restricted and if you go over you pay when you hand the car back - not sure how this is done though.

AFAIK you nan swaps her DLA for the mobility car, i.e. her DLA payments stop for as long as she has the car.

Last edited:
I don't know anyone on the scheme but from what I've picked up you are supposed to only use the car to ferry your nan about or doing errands for her (e.g. picking some shopping

I think that only applies to the blue badge, as long as you live with your nan or you D/L is registered at your nans address it should be ok.

I think that only applies to the blue badge, as long as you live with your nan or you D/L is registered at your nans address it should be ok.

Nope, Motablilty vehicle is to be used for the purposes of making the persons life of whom is in receipt of the DLA better. If they find you are using it for other things not connected with your nan, they WILL take the vehicle back without warning (dealer keeps spare key).... STOP DLA with immediate effect and your nan will be prevented from using the scheme again.

How do I know this, my partners cousin thought she'd be clever and do just what your thinking until she got out of bed one morning to a missing car, then found it had been taken back. then found the shit really hit the fan...!

DLA banned the recipient from the motability scheme and investigated them to see if they really needed the benefit being they didn't have use of the car anyway.

ask yourself, is it worth the risk ?

thanks all for the replys, i have spoken to a few dealers and mate who have carried out this scheme.

YES- the main purpose of this vehicle will be to take my nan out and about which i do anyway in my own current vehicle.

however i can also use this car for my personal use hence i will be paying a certain amount per week on it aswel.

it will effect my nans allowance i just need to find out by how much.

just been looking at it recently and just thought post it on here and see what people can make out of it. i thought other people might hava a mobility car either for themselfs or someone else. i just like to know what i am getting my self into, especially as it will effect my nan aswel!

thanks all for the replys, i have spoken to a few dealers and mate who have carried out this scheme.

YES- the main purpose of this vehicle will be to take my nan out and about which i do anyway in my own current vehicle.

however i can also use this car for my personal use hence i will be paying a certain amount per week on it aswel.

it will effect my nans allowance i just need to find out by how much.

just been looking at it recently and just thought post it on here and see what people can make out of it. i thought other people might hava a mobility car either for themselfs or someone else. i just like to know what i am getting my self into, especially as it will effect my nan aswel!

im not saying your wrong but that is not what i know to be true.

any car thats payed for on motability no matter what you say, is only for erans for the name of the person recieving the higher rate of mobility. I have never known any car company agree on a person driving it to add money towards the car so he can use it daily for himself e.g work, shopping, leisure time etc.

I used to work for ford for two years and even though i never worked on the motability section i know it is only for use for the disabled persons needs and has to be paid 100% each month through the benefits not your own pocket. I dout times have changed in 2 years since i left.

My nan has a ford focus 57 plate as she has a bad back from an operation that went wrong, my dad used the car for her shopping, taking her to bingo, or town, doctors, hospital, im sure if you do get one and some nosy parker knows what your using it for and report you to dla you will have the car taken off you.

Car would be paid for from your Nans DLA
Car is Taxed and as a named driver you are insured for the three years
Cant see how you can pay for the car or part of it? only by paying back to your Nan part or all that she would pay from her DLA?
You get 60000 miles over three years, after that you pay for any extra miles 5p a mile I think it is. not sure if its still the same.
two new tyers a year servicing RAC recovery not from abroad.
Car has to be kept as new, or you pay to have it put back to as new
you have to pay for the first :
75POUNDS DAMAGES
IF YOU CHANGE ANY THING ON THE CAR YOURSELF IT HAS TO BE PUT BACK AS WAS OR YOU PAY
if the car is used to take your Nan out and about where ever she needs to go and when then thats OK
Also one thing to keep in mind your insurance ie as you are insured by mobility for the three years you have the car if you dont keep up your insurance or insure your self after two years, after the three years you would not have any NCB.
Also Insurance from Mobility does not let you drive another car you are not covered, and no one else can drive it.

hope this helps

From what I know...

DLA comes in two parts IIRC. One part for mobility needs, the second part for care needs.

If she (you) takes out a car on the scheme, she will lose all the DLA money paid for her Mobility needs. - Unless you decide to choose a car that is crap, like a Fiat Panda, or some other PoS, and they then don't take the whole amount of benefit, they will leave her with a few quid (literally) coming in.

Depending on vehicle choice, you may have to pay a deposit up front. (Which you don't get back.)

Can she survive financially if she loses the £xxx+ money coming in currently...? The mobility side is a big chunk of money in the DLA...

It's a decent scheme, but has it's pitfalls. The contract is notoriously tricky to get out of. Change of mind/circumstances won't cut it. Medical grounds only. (E.G. Disability greatly changed/worsened.)

The bigger/better the car, the more you pay. (Upfront usually)

Exceed the annual mileage and you'll get stung usually. (12000 miles a year) Garage sends all these details back to Motability during annual service, which must be carried out.

Car must be handed back in reasonable condition at the end of the three years. Any work that needs to be done will be carried under the insurance which you'll pay the excess for. (Sometimes multiple claims may have to be done, which means multiple excess fees as well...)

The car will definitely be taken back, and possibly DLA stopped if the fraud guys think you're taking the piss. And if you are taking the piss, I hope they throw the book at you...! ;)

No No-Claims-Bonus exist for the scheme. (So, if at the end of the three (etc) years, you decide to buy you own car again, you won't get any NCB's. IIRC, they might give you a letter to give to other insurers, but whether they accept that letter is up to them.)

But when all said and done, for the purpose it's intended for, it's a good enough scheme. Especially if only need a small car.

BTW, I'm only talking about Contract Hire, not the HP side of things. And my info may be a bit out of date by now, so don't take everything as gospel...

mileage use

Dzza

Your info is about right but it is changing all the time. and every ones case is not the same when it comes to getting out of the contract.

and its now 60.000 milage over 3 years 100.000 over 5 years.

thanks for all the info, was all i was i after. Will be going to a few more dealers and see how it works out.

just need to see the prices and read the small prints.

thanks again!!

u get a new car every 3 years insured drivers must be over 21 all you pay is fuel unless u go over the amount of miles allowed

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Also if u give the car back in good condition they send u a £200 cheque :) and if you've done under 10,000 miles in the 3 years u can keep it for another 3 years if its over u must choose a new car

but that £200 must be given to teh dealership when u pick a new car cause thats happened to my granda a few times

its normally a £250 voucher he gets

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Thats wat we got m8,had our new mobility car a year now but we got our £200 cheque a few weeks after we dropped back the old mobility car :) Unless its a vauxhall thing cuz we're on our 2nd zafira

Last edited:
fair dos bud

its Ford we use and they send out a voucher but it goes against the new cars metallic paint so its really just a meaningless peice of paper to us

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

im considering getting one of these under my nans name. she is on the higher rate. i was just wondering if anyone out there is on the scheme and can shed some light on it.

http://www.motability.co.uk/main.cfm?Type=AIE

thanks

if you get one she will lose money they take it from the money she is given,you will get the road tax free but that will be no probs .
dont know if this helps

yea best thing will be to find out everything about it for her,

is the best way to go about it is by looking at a car and going to a dealership?

thanks again for all da good info it has shed a lot of light on this scheme! :Clap:

Back