MOT retest

ekwat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife took her car for an MOT yesterday ( not to the place I always go and told her to ) and her car failed. Fair enough but she brings the car home so I can sort the problems and on the crap they printed and gave her it says

"Due to computerisation MOT retests charged at full fee"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Money grabbing A**holes. Computerisation = more expensive and less efficient? Don't computerise then..............Damn Government......

The place where I go is cheaper and give free re-test.

Triple rant now. Greedy garage and a wife that didn't listen and a Government which made them computerise......................

pressure relieving....................................

That is weird, I know the place I take mine doesn't charge you until it passes, I assumed they are all computerised nowadays. Sounds poor to me, best to go back to the other centre for the next test.

Frenchman

It will tell you on the red failure sheet if the car requires a full or partial retest and if it does the garage are entiteled to charge a fee. That doesn't mean they have to just that they can. Some minor defects don't require full retest if returned to the test station within a set period, it will tell you on the failure sheet. Computerisation is the best thing to happen to happen to the mot in the 25 years i've been doing them.

thebigman

it the law to have a mot done and the goverment give you a standered two weeks for a re-test , sorry mate but the garage is ripping you off ,report them to vosa

You never mention why it failed.

MOT Retest Procedures and Information
gives a list of failures that mean the retest is free so long as it is retested before the end of the next working day at the same test station

You can get it for a partial fee if you do the work yourself and get it tested within 10 days.

If you think they are stitching you up then contact vosa as the fees are set in law not by if the garage does computerised MOT's

VOSA corporate website

they are all at it now

cheap mot's then same price again for retest - equivalent of basically full whack mot

missus car failed mot on horn and handbrake cable that snapped whilst during mot

did the work myself took car back and they charged another £25

Can you not take it to a council run MOT centre, They only do the MOT's and not repairs so they have no reason to fail you.

i always go to the same place and i always ask 1st to make sure. Usually the condition is if they carry out any work if it fails and it doesn't leave the test centre, the re test is free.

It failed on front wheel bearings both sides. I did the work then spoke to the place that does my MOT about a new test and he told me the other place was out of line and to report it to VOSA. Rang them up and they are doing the re-test for £25. Still more than I wanted to pay buy the cheapest option at the moment. I'll forward the paperwork onto VOSA and see what they say.

My honda crv failed on tyres i have one those tyre gauges for tread depth and all across the minimum tread was 3.5 mm the mot said he had a proper gauge and showed me the picture and it looked nothing like mine both my tyres were worn evenly so i got a form to appeal and he gave me a tyre suppliers card which was run by someone he knew (scam) but as we were going away and he said the retest was free I just went and got 2 tyres from else where and replaced the front tyres so he then gave me a mot with a caution on the rear tyres which have 5mm tread

edogg

There you go.

Cheers m8. Still really annoys me that on the sheet they gave the wife it said it would be a full fee.

I've calmed down since then and the only thing I can say is they won't get money from me again.

Back