MOT opinions re second opinion

i-zombie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi just wanted to gauge opinion on something,my car recently failed it's mot .now I took it to a garage that takes the car elsewhere to test them as they don't do in house .
Now when my car came back and the mechanics were pricing up the repair cost they put it up on ramps to check my corrosion affecting braking or steering fail.now it's a JAG so does have corrosion on sils,but 2 mechanics couldn't find corrosion in an area that would affect anything ,and called in a third party welder to have a look.
Now the other bits I can sort myself but welding cost look like it will cost more than card worth.
I'm tempted to do the incidentals and take elsewhere (council) It just seems very odd that the garages actual mechanics couldn't find the corrosion issue

Any thoughts please

all it will cost you is the price of the MOT, the only issue I can see is if there is anything on line saying its failed and what on as I believe its all on line now.

all it will cost you is the price of the MOT, the only issue I can see is if there is anything on line saying its failed and what on as I believe its all on line now.

Shouldn't matter. If you take it somewhere else that passes it, it's just assumed that the problem (if it ever existed) is now sorted.

oh aye its all online now,but my understanding is the points they check are all open to interpritation--this is what leads to one mot station failing something when the place next door would pass it!
its the fact that 2 professional trained mechanics couldnt find the point of corrosion the mot mentioned in order to give me a quote

hoping if i rectify the other points and re mot the new tester will also not see these points-surely they would be obvious if they are a failure point.
if not then factoring the cost of welding i could buy another car with full mot for the price of repair.

I would suggest that you take the car to an mot garage direct yourself next time,You could pop to the mot garage and ask the tester to point out what needs repairing and he should explain

I would suggest that you take the car to an mot garage direct yourself next time,You could pop to the mot garage and ask the tester to point out what needs repairing and he should explain
had i known they shipped it off elsewhere i would have.

The best place to get tested is at a council run MOT centre if there's one handy for you. These are primarily for use by council vehicles, but they're obliged to MOT any vehicle. They don't do repairs or servicing, so they're not looking to line their pockets by finding work to do.

just be careful driving the car mate as its now not got a valid mot . if it fail mot then doesn't mate if last mot had two weeks left
its expired once it fails an mot

Back