most of the scams on ebay

ellie1998 said:
I bought an item from ebay with paypal
Item was dead when it arrived, I wrote to the seller no reply
Wrote to paypal they want me to get the item tested by an independant company which I have to pay for plus £15 to paypal for their paperwork.
The item was £65 I will not pay more money as it will cost me half the buying price and I am still not guaranteed a full refund :-(
The seller was stefford2002 so beware

Ellie a wee piece of advice - having gone through similar problems with Paypal, I wrote to them again and copied in the email for which Magazine and informed them that they were allowing scammers to operate by their unfair practices to the buyers and that I was more than willing to let the consumer press and sunday newspaper consumer help areas know about this fact but would give them a week to sort out the problem before doing so, however after that period of time I would make sure that everyone received a copy of how they deal with complaints so that prospective members of Paypal were well warned...

I received a 'non-commital payment' from them to cover the cost of the goods, but they stated that it was a one off, only given out because of my good e-bay reputation and having carried out lots of paypal transactions.

Give it a whirl! if they don't then send e-mails to as many consumer sites/ papers you can find copying Paypal in, so ensure you are telling it as it is.. or they will sue!! ;-) I'm sure the pressure of bad publicity will again work!!

all the best!

Tally

well done mate , shuv it up em. You might also want to watch for the scams were you are buying something before it has been released, you can pretty much guarantee that by the time it has been released the seller has left Fleabay and the time has elapsed for you to make a fraud complaint (there is a time limit with pay pal , can't remember how long it is ). You won't be able to trace the T..ts because there tel numbers etc don't exist and pay pal won't be intrested after that time. It has happened to me and a friend. If you do need to make a fraud complaint get it in quick but i wouldn't hold your breath.
Be carefull.... :lsabre:

cheers for the info. i collect rare 7" singles off ebay and that has opened up my eyes. I bought this one CD and after a month it hadn't arrived. I e-mailed the guy and told him that I will leave negative feedback if it's not delivered in a week. Then I got an e-mail saying that the seller had been kicked off ebay so i thought i had lost my money but a month later I actually got the item.

Another rip off is they send you an email saying your account has had some effort made to use it and says something about your bank telling ebay that unauthorised activity has been tried. it dont ask for any details it just says click link to verfiy your account or it will be suspended. if you click link it ends in .com my acount is .co.uk so the link is a fraud. i got caught out no my account is suspended whilst ebay sort it. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
only use the proper url to get into ebay and if they want u there will be a message waiting in "my ebay"

Make sure you use a firewall generally. A few months ago i though I was ok without it until I couldnt sign into my hotmail account, paypal or ebay accounts!
Once I got in (by answering secret questions and resetting it all) I found emails for various purchases on my paypal account to the value of £120 (on online gaming sites and those "get an ipod for £20" websites) and a buy it now placed on ebay for a £200 car stereo. Both my eBay and paypal passwords would not work.

Some moron had got a trojan onto my pc and got all my passwords and went on a mini spending spree. Thankfully the eBay seller understood and beleived me and cancelled the purchase.

Had to make a call to paypal telling them what had happened. The clerk kept blabbing on about a password change which I had made a few mins before. Apparently there was no log of a password change before that so I havn't a clue how the potential theif did it. Paypal cancelled the payments and a month later I got my £120 back. Did call my bank whilst I was in the panic stage and because I had a debit card they couldnt help. Apparently Banks will only reimburse for fraud on credit cards and not on debit cards (prob because it's their money stolen!)

Moral of the story? Get a firewall and run regular virus/spyware scans.

:lsabre:

wow
thanks damage a lot you would think genuine on the surface
cheers for the info
wifes always trying all these getrich schemes so she has found this of interest

ALSO, watch out for nigerian 419 scams.. easy to spot, as they are not exactly intelligent. (the scams not the people.. then again..)

if you're brave also try scamming the scammers..
although be careful as you may get killed.. which is none too good for your health.

or just pull them along on emails.. and tell them to meet up at airports, carparks etc... and give a descrip of an undercover cop if you know one... thats always fun.. especially at heathrow airport.. as you watch them being arrested...

another intelligent scam

this 1 consists in sending a registered package to the buyer's address,the latter would sign for it,not knowing that the package is empty...therefore if paid through a credit card,would have lost right to chargeback,since seller can provide a proof,item was received & signed for,seller than blame it on the post office guys,..general rule of thumb,....when using ebay...check feedbacks and time registered with ebay...i have been using 4 more than 4 years..nver had any trbl...

If you win an item make your payment using paypal this way if you are not happy with it when or if it arrives File a claim against the buyer using paypal (not ebay)you MUST do this within 30 days of purchase and when asked if you received any package make sure you say NO as paypal will not refund you even if you received a broken item.(If the seller is genuine he/she will try to sort it out with you asap if they are scammers they will not reply so you will get back your dosh)
Once you have done this it is up to the seller to supply proof that the item has been posted and received by you, you are now in control the refund is instanly taken out of the sellers account and after 10-30 days you will receive it from paypal.

i'm a regular ebay'er and have seen some of these methods myself, still a very interesting read. cheers.

some very good information for people like me who are very new to ebay. Thanks a bunch guys.

nice link m8, with usin ebay quite abit its good to see a page of ways to avoid the scammers

e_bay police auctions

went on e-bay last night to find laptop for £20 samsung d500 for 99p 42" plasmas £100 could,nt believe it,went to get credit card for today and all items where withdrawn????no excuse.any one else seen this???

Back