(more than 200) Motorists trapped in heavy snow

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
Motorists trapped in heavy snow

More than 200 motorists are stranded in heavy snow in Devon in what the fire service is calling " a major incident".

Scores of cars became trapped on the A38 at Haldon Hill near Exeter when the weather worsened on Thursday night.

One driver Nicky Micklewhite told the BBC that cars had skidded in the snow and were unable to get up the hill.

The incident came after a day of disruption and school closures across much of the UK, with more snow forecast for Friday.

Fire crews from Devon and Somerset Fire Brigade are at the A38 trying to help those stranded.

The Dartmoor Rescue Group has also been scrambled. Phil Hayter, secretary of the group, told the BBC that teams from Ashburton and Plymouth were on their way to help.

Ms Micklewhite said: "We have seen a policeman walk up the hill with a torch and a fire gritter go by.

"At the moment no-one is moving, everyone is just stuck in their cars waiting for the emergency service to sort us out."

'Safety crisis'

The Met Office is warning that high ground in the West Country could see up to 12in (30cm) of snow overnight.

Councillor Colin Gibbs, who lives close to the A38, said he had been trying to help those stranded and had brought some people back to the village pub.

"We've actually just been up to rescue somebody off Holden Hill and they were the only people actually in the forest area," he said.

"We've got them back here to the Nobody Inn in Doddiscombe Lee now and they're getting warmed up by the fire."

Another motorist called Jamie told BBC Radio 5 Live he had been stuck for more than an hour and a half and his car had been damaged by a snow plough.

"I don't really know what's going to happen because I've got about half a tank of petrol left," he said.

"Once that runs out I'm not sure what my next move is. I'm not really sure where the nearest service station is."

Across the UK, apart from London and South East, severe weather warnings are in place and two walkers have died in freezing conditions in the Lake District.

Councils also say they are running out of road salt and the AA warned shortages have created a "road safety crisis".

Story from BBC NEWS:
Published: 2009/02/05 23:59:58 GMT
© BBC MMIX

Ham we have had hardly any snow, there was a few inches today for the 1st time and it was bad in some places but not anything like what Devon or other places are getting.

Global warming to blame I bet....:Jester:

We haven't had a great deal round where I live so I was very suprised to see this item on Exeter.

But then we seem to have various little pockets of micro climates down here in South Devon.

I phoned my wife at work the other day, because the snow was quite heavy (for a wee bit) in our village and I wanted to warn her, but there was no snow where she was - about 2 miles away.

Last edited:
Back