more sound ..

cooltool

Inactive User
Reaction score
any one know if ntl is gona upgrade to send out 5.1 or more sound options? i guess if they do that it would need to be a major upgrade ...
finaly got a nice surround sound system so it would be nice.

It will probably be rolled out around the same time DTS is available to Sky customers

The current system supports 5.1 without upgrades, but I don't think any of their boxes have outputs for it, so it's not something they would implement until the next generation of boxes come out.

i guess once it would come it would nock the dbox off air...

cooltool said:
i guess once it would come it would nock the dbox off air...
Not necessarily. It's generally expected that NTL will bring out a new HDTV capable box next year, just like Telewest, and it will almost certainly be 5.1 compatible, in which case a secondary 5.1 audio track could be used in the current stream of any channel, but which would only be useful to people with the new boxes and Dboxes. Old Pace and Samsung boxes would just use the default 2.0 track.

The HDTV boxes will not immediately render the old boxes and system useless, as it will be quite expensive and not initially available to all subscribers. It's similar to how many people still use analog boxes, even after the cable companies went digital years ago.

That said, there is no guarantee the cable companies would use a 5.1 track on non-HDTV channels, but there is no reason why they couldn't. At the moment, some channels are actually delivered to them with 5.1 audio, and they strip it out before re-distributing the channels on their own network.

I use the digital out on my box and have turned digital on in the sound settings and it sounds great.

de_deej

yep digital dolby i think is slightly better sound on mine too as de says

cheers

gav12345 said:
yep digital dolby i think is slightly better sound on mine too as de says
cheers
I'm pretty sure you're just passing standard MPEG audio through the digital out connection. As far as I know, there is no Dolby Digital track on any of the cable channels, only standard 2 channel MPEG.

still havent connected the dbox via digital to my amp. will try it out later. is there some kind of "optical digital input spliter" i am not sure how many digi ins i got on my amp and xbox uses one allready ...

señor ding dong said:
I'm pretty sure you're just passing standard MPEG audio through the digital out connection. As far as I know, there is no Dolby Digital track on any of the cable channels, only standard 2 channel MPEG.

senor its not digital dolby thats for sure but if you turn it on where it says dolby digital and reboot the sound is slightly better for me

thats what i said m8

i never said it was digital dolby can people read

cheers

gav12345 said:
senor its not digital dolby thats for sure but if you turn it on where it says dolby digital and reboot the sound is slightly better for me
thats what i said m8
i never said it was digital dolby can people read
cheers
Easy, big fella. :) To the untrained eye, this sure looked like you meant Dolby Digital, though: "yep digital dolby i think...".

I'm not jumping on your back about it, just trying to avoid confusion.

señor ding dong said:
Easy, big fella. :) To the untrained eye, this sure looked like you meant Dolby Digital, though: "yep digital dolby i think...".
I'm not jumping on your back about it, just trying to avoid confusion.

no probs m8 but i said was where it said dolby digital turn on doesnt mean it is dolby digital

its alright no offence made m8 just stating what i wrote

cheers

Back