more hd on virgin

uggi2005

Inactive User
Reaction score
does anybody know if virgin plan to broadcast anymore hd channels other than bbc hd and a handful of on demand hd.

Virgin are busy shutting down their analogue services in order to free up bandwith for HD channels - for every one analogue channel turned off, 4 HD channels can be switched on.

NEWS ARTICLE CLICK HERE

The only problem at the moment is SKY tieing channels down to their own service - including channel 4 HD, this was rather naughty of C4 as they are classed as a public sector provider, and the shit has hit the fan with the launch of freesat and C4 not being able to broadcast on it. C4 are having to buy out of the sky deal in order to avoid a giant fine from ofcom. So in short you can forget about C4HD for a while. From what I understand ITVHD will set up in the next couple of months on cable - but will not be available on sky, the new freesat ITV hd services can only be accessed from the red button while viewing the ITV channel - this effectivly "locks out" skys own digiboxes from offering the ITVHD service - giving freesat a clear advantage over skys service.

so - although there is no official talk from VM over it I predict the following

ITVHD - 4 - 8 weeks
C4 HD - 3-5 Months
Living HD - 12+ months
Mixed HD content channel - 6+ months (possibly 2 of these)

not based on facts - just my take on the industry

Virgin are busy shutting down their analogue services in order to free up bandwith for HD channels - for every one analogue channel turned off, 4 HD channels can be switched on.

NEWS ARTICLE CLICK HERE

The only problem at the moment is SKY tieing channels down to their own service - including channel 4 HD, this was rather naughty of C4 as they are classed as a public sector provider, and the shit has hit the fan with the launch of freesat and C4 not being able to broadcast on it. C4 are having to buy out of the sky deal in order to avoid a giant fine from ofcom. So in short you can forget about C4HD for a while. From what I understand ITVHD will set up in the next couple of months on cable - but will not be available on sky, the new freesat ITV hd services can only be accessed from the red button while viewing the ITV channel - this effectivly "locks out" skys own digiboxes from offering the ITVHD service - giving freesat a clear advantage over skys service.

so - although there is no official talk from VM over it I predict the following

ITVHD - 4 - 8 weeks
C4 HD - 3-5 Months
Living HD - 12+ months
Mixed HD content channel - 6+ months (possibly 2 of these)

not based on facts - just my take on the industry

I read somewhere that the European Championship will be broadcast in HD by both ITV and BBC. The shortens the lead time somewhat if true. I personally cant wait to get on the HD broadcast bandwagon, I just cant make up my mind on which satellite combo to go with.

ITVHD - 4 - 8 weeks

its a freesat exclusive so I doubt the ITV will be part of any other platform within 8 weeks,its not on freesta as yet lol

:)

Back