Monarch Airlines in trouble ?

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and the missus booked for a week in Tenerife in November and I've just read there's an uncertainty about Monarch carrying on trading and their not covered with ABTA as from today 02/10/2017, we were due to fly out from Manchester. Do you think they'll go bump and no hol ?. I know were covered for a refund but that's not the point. We skipped our usual summer hol in pref for a later Nov holiday with friends.

Seems it's already happened @silverdale. No uncertainty as they have already ceased trading. Here is an excerpt from the BBC story

How will package holiday customers be affected?
For people who booked package holidays - but have not yet flown - they will be able to apply for a refund through the Atol scheme, which refunds customers if a travel firm collapses.
"Experience suggests this will take weeks or months rather than days," says Simon Calder, travel editor at the Independent.
He told 5 Live the news was "absolutely heartbreaking", but the main thing for Monarch customers abroad was not to panic: "You will be brought home more or less on schedule.
"There is no point in arriving at the airport on the wrong day. Just continue with your holiday."
By law, every UK travel company which sells air holidays has to hold an Atol licence. Monarch's website says it only held the licence for package holidays, not flight-only tickets.

Feel for you mate :(

Yeah read it just after I posted it up :(

There's 12 of us all on diff booking refs but exact same holiday with Monarch. Were all looking for flights and I've emailed the Hotel to see if we can retain our rooms and pay again. Thing is though, flights are going through the roof as I type and in the half an hour Easyjet sold out one flight and the other gone up £50 so it's not looking good. Thomas Cook and Thompson the same.
I feel sorry for those at the airport ffs, with kids and bags all setting off. Wife rang me just from work and said her m8 works on the intercom for a taxi company and she's having to ring 10 lots this morning to tell them it's off , thats if they already don't know.

Some poeple I know just booked flights to go so they've lost their money , at least mine was a package deal thank fook

I know I shouldn't laugh but a friend just texted me. His RyanAir flight cancelled on him a few weeks back so he booked on our flight last week costing a bomb ..... His text was hard to understand as it contained just swear words and no, if's, but's, were's, when's or why's

Daughters mate Works for Monarch has just been made redundant.

Sad times for her loved been a Stewardess flying from Leeds and Manchester.

Sad times, it's a cutthroat business with small margin for error. I always thought that eventually 1 or 2 Airline companies would hit the wall but I thought RyanAir would go first.
We were going to try and re-book but package the package holidays and flights only are through the roof for the area and time we wanted to go. It was for the Soul in the Sun, adult old codgers pish up. We've not been and like I said passed up a summer holiday to go all inclusive and was really looking forward to it there was a gang of us. Wife's going absolute spare, she was proper looking forward to it , our luck.

But it those who've lost their jobs with no warning and Christmas so near I feel sorry for and those with kids who've looked forward to it for months , just awful

Hopefully anyone who booked flight only will have paid by credit card and will be covered by section 25 and anyone paying by debit card can try there bank for "charge back"

So were now looking at travelling with RyanAir as a last resort. I'm not to fooked tbh about the quality of the flight etc, I'll just have a few drinks and sleep all the way there.
what I mean is, do you know if there OK meaning do they often cancel their own flights ?

Well the cheapest and best timed flights showing is from Newcastle. Its a two hour drive but its either that or no holiday

So were now looking at travelling with RyanAir as a last resort. I'm not to fooked tbh about the quality of the flight etc

Ive flown quite a few times with Ryanair to tenerife and i can honestly say i cant fault the service, it's a pity they are also going through troubled times at the moment.

Good luck with the holiday mate, i hope it all turns out good for you.

To cut cost down and availability we've looked at flying to Gran Canaria then onto Tenerife (30 min flight) anyone done this with RyanAir and Air Europa ?, just wondered. We've a 3.5 hour gap between the 2 but it only works out at £83 in total to get Tenerife

Does anybody here or family work close in the airline business ?. I'm trying to suss out if to hold out in the hope that other airlines put extra flights on to cash in and if to wait or not. I've got the Hotel sorted that's on hold and booked (pay at the till) so it's flights that's the mare.

If anyone has any info regarding the possibility of extra scheduled flights North West to Tenerife South let us know. cheers.

Well it makes no odds , flights are book with Jet2 and were going thank fook for that as I cant stand the missus bending my ear anymore. We've had to pay an extra £80 per head on the Holiday but I couldn't stand a week of her showing me Facebook pages every 5 minutes on how everyone's having a good time

I think most are waiting on ATOL drafting up a refund form. We should be fine recovering our money as we were on a package deal with them. A friend who booked flights only same trip has his bank doing the work for him.

Just incase anyone else is in the same boat, ATOL not have a claim form out

I filled in the ATOL claims form the morning it came out on the 11th Oct and sent it back within minutes. I received an email yesterday saying the money will be back in the account in 7-14 days so I#m happy with that. We'll still get our holiday which is now costing us about £100 more per person (with extra's) but it was either that or don't go

Back