Modding newbie - advice please

slartibartfast

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've got an old style PS2 and the warranty has run out so I've decided that now is the time to mod it.

I haven't got a network adaptor or hard disk at the moment but I'd be willing to get them if needed. I want to be able to play "backup" games and make it multi region if possible. I'd also like to look into media players (eg divx, xvid, mp3 etc.) and possibly other add on software.

I don't want to have to keep swapping disks.

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so that wouldn't be a problem, although the less risk the better.

I'd be grateful for any advice on what I need eg chip, HD network adaptor. What chip would people recommend and if I need a HD are there any quirky requirements eg ATA100 or ATA133, or particular models that it does or doesn't like.

Sorry if I'm asking a lot but i've read up everything I can and I can't seem to work out what the best option is.

Thanks ppl.

To play backups on your PS2 via a hard disk you'll need either HDadvance or USBeXtreme.

To see which one is compatable with your PS2 see here: wvw.hdadvance.com/hd_advance_usb_extreme_comparison.htm

Hi thanks for your reply.

I've had a look into it and I'm going to go with the HD + network adaptor and the HD advance is compatible with my type of ps2.

I did see that to add a backup game to the hard disk, you have to flip the lid or slide the tray open which I don't want to do.

So from what I understand, the HD advance is the software to allow you to play games from the HD but you still have to do the swap disk trick to get backups on to the system.

Do any of the modchips save you from having to open the case or pop the tray open to swap disks? If not, what DO they do?

Back