Mobile phone upgrade

lookwhoiam

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey all.
just a quick question on mobile phone upgrades.

i know nothing about them.

cant really remember when im due an upgrade.
what happens when im due one?
does 3 call me or do i have to call them?
can i call them now and ask when im due an upgrade? will they tell me?
or do i just go into the 3 shop where i got it and ask them?

also while im here if i am due an upgrade what phone would people recommend on the 3 network? or shall i just switch networks and get an iphone?
ive got a n95 at the minute. any better phones about?

jesus that is a lot of questions but i know there is a lot of helpful people on here.

Hey all.
just a quick question on mobile phone upgrades.

i know nothing about them.

cant really remember when im due an upgrade.
what happens when im due one?
does 3 call me or do i have to call them?
can i call them now and ask when im due an upgrade? will they tell me?
or do i just go into the 3 shop where i got it and ask them?

also while im here if i am due an upgrade what phone would people recommend on the 3 network? or shall i just switch networks and get an iphone?
ive got a n95 at the minute. any better phones about?

jesus that is a lot of questions but i know there is a lot of helpful people on here.

you can ring or go into the shop both will tell you when you can upgrade, not on 3 (o2) but normally when i've upgraded they've given me a choice of phones or a discounted/credit on my tariff if i dont take a handset, if your happy with 3 stay with them see what they offer if not look round at whats available

You just need to ring them or go to their shop and they will tell you when you are due an upgrade otherwise they will just keep you on the contract you are on now (unless its a special and therefore you go to their set rate).

They will also be able to tell you if you are entitled to a new phone and what phones you can choose from, then you can ask peoples opinions on those phones. I have know idea what is a good phone.

If their options dont suit you then look around at other networks, or even look and see what is available and barter with 3 to get a deal from them to match or better other networks deals.

btw...if you decide to move then ask 3 for your pac code so you can take your number with you to the new network.

All you need to do is phone them up or walk into one of their shops.

You've probably got a better chance of getting a better deal over the phone with them. If you think you've gone over your limits quite often then push them for something extra like an expensive handset or more minutes or texts. Even if you haven't, say you've been offered a better deal with another network. If you get nothing, ask to be put through to cancellations. You always get a better deal from them ;)

Up to you though if you want to change network if you feel the coverage on 3 hasn't been very good. Personally, I wouldn't bother with an iPhone if you value your minutes or texts. The tariffs are pretty poor. If you want an iPhone type phone, there are other touchscreen phones on the market like the Samsung Tocco or LG Viewty. Not too sure about their availability on 3 though because I know 3 is the fussy one.

Also, not meaning to throw a spanner in the works, but you can also get your upgrade handset through places like Phone4U but you keep the same tariff you have with your network. They basically ring your network up for you and say you've upgraded your handset through them.

That's what I did with my last upgrade because O2 let me down. They wanted £75 a month for the handset I wanted for free and wouldn't budge. I went to Phones4U and got the handset I wanted for free with 2 months free insurance and half price memory card.

That's what I did with my last upgrade because O2 let me down. They wanted £75 a month for the handset I wanted for free and wouldn't budge. I went to Phones4U and got the handset I wanted for free with 2 months free insurance and half price memory card.

It's crazy the way they do that Kris. So bloody stupid on their part. I change contract every year with dialaphone and its always O2, I ask O2 to meet dialaphone deal and they say NO, so I go with dialaphone on the O2 network :err:. Surely O2 pay dialaphone a premium for getting them the contracts.

It's crazy the way they do that Kris. So bloody stupid on their part. I change contract every year with dialaphone and its always O2, I ask O2 to meet dialaphone deal and they say NO, so I go with dialaphone on the O2 network :err:. Surely O2 pay dialaphone a premium for getting them the contracts.

It is crazy! What I was thinking too. They must get the money out of the network for the handset.

O2 really annoyed me. I didn't try pushing it all the way through to cancellations to see what I could get though because I rang them up and all of the handsets I was interested in they told me were out of stock and didn't know when they would be back in stock. I did ring up again though after getting my new handset from Phones4U to try and get more texts. Bloody woman was thick as two short planks though! One minute she told me I could do something but the next she was telling me the opposite??? I just hung up on her in the end because she was making me angry.

I have a Vodafone contract and each upgrade time, I look at competitors and new deals then ask redemptions if they can match or give me a better deal as upgrades thru normal customer service is crap.
With redemptions, in order to keep you, you can bargain with them, so my last upgrade was reduced line rental, free 512memory card (for k800i) and bluetooth headset on the cheap.

Might be worth checking out similar deals as they may be some you fancy which is better than 3 and they might do better.

Almost 2 years ago, I took out a contract with O2 via carphone warehouse. 11month free on 12month £35 contract. But with £60 cashback from quidco, it was a good deal. Used it mainly for yourcallworld to call abroad. After 12months, I phoned carphone warhouse to cancel it but they didnt want me to go so offered me a deal, they credited my account with £250, changed my tarriff so basically I stuck with O2 for another 12months but free, no charge. Minutes only 50 a month but who cares, ideal for emergency phone.

I guess there is a difference when dealing with O2 directly or thru some thirdparty.

Back