Sensible Topic Mobile phone security

fus10n

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So after reading this

tl;dr? this is the short version,
'Because stingrays imitate cell phone towers, any phone targeted by them will transmit all of its data to and from the stingray instead of an actual tower, allowing the government (or whoever else) to intercept and listen in on anything sent to or from that phone. They also allow police to more precisely track people by locking on to their cell signal'

Now i know i'm not in 'merica, but I wanted to secure my phone and wondered if you guys know of anything I should use. I have encrypted my phone by using that option in the settings and i really should look into using a vpn while using public wifi. Is there anything else?

Also, this is possibly another conversation entirely but, I don't have anything to hide and in turn nothing to fear but i value my right to privacy and I hate that 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear argument' as the people saying it generally think they have won the argument after saying it....

I haven't read that but do you mean that you set the phone to use encrypted cells only? Those Stingray things rely on phones being able to use unencrypted mode.

As I didn't want O2 peeking at what I browse on my phone, I use my own proxy at home. VM will still be able to see but O2 won't and if I used public Wi-Fi then they wouldn't be ablt to snoop either. I tried to access Live Leak once and got a splash page telling me to prove my age using a credit card, I thought it sounded dodgy but after some searching found it was actually O2. Been meaning to get rid and go to GiffGaff anyway...

I use OpenSSH at home and ConnectBot on the phone which creates an encrypted tunnel over a port of your choice. FireFox is pointed at localhost as a proxy and set to use far end DNS, so DNS requests go through the tunnel.

I haven't read that but do you mean that you set the phone to use encrypted cells only? Those Stingray things rely on phones being able to use unencrypted mode.

As I didn't want O2 peeking at what I browse on my phone, I use my own proxy at home. VM will still be able to see but O2 won't and if I used public Wi-Fi then they wouldn't be ablt to snoop either. I tried to access Live Leak once and got a splash page telling me to prove my age using a credit card, I thought it sounded dodgy but after some searching found it was actually O2. Been meaning to get rid and go to GiffGaff anyway...

I use OpenSSH at home and ConnectBot on the phone which creates an encrypted tunnel over a port of your choice. FireFox is pointed at localhost as a proxy and set to use far end DNS, so DNS requests go through the tunnel.

Encrypt your Android smartphone for paranoid-level security

Also, this is possibly another conversation entirely but, I don't have anything to hide and in turn nothing to fear but i value my right to privacy and I hate that 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear argument' as the people saying it generally think they have won the argument after saying it....
It's still a pretty compelling argument though :)

openSSH uses public and private keys which means the encryption is only one way better to set up a OpenVPN server and use that for 2 way encryption.

with public and private keys
public key ---> private key provides encrypted
private key ---> Public key provides authentication.

Back