mkv2vob Grrrrrrr

iliveinuk

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, I have only just started to use my ps3 to stream movies, I have grabed a few mkv movies and used mkv2vob, changed the settings to m2ts and then it converted with around 75% success rate, the remaining ones all convert etc but when i go to stream them they only last on average around 4 to 6 seconds, thats all that it says the file lasts, yet the file is say at least 4 - 6 gig, why is this and is there another way to get it to m2ts??

Ok 2 add to the above, I have now tried tsMuxeR on the ones that didnt work, I now get the full movie, but with no sound, I have dabbled with the different sounds, 5.1 , 4.1 etc, still no sound, maybe the files are corrupt but I doubt it, any ideas

Hmmm, forget that last bit, just had one go through tsMuxeR which again only lasted about 4 seconds!!! AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This is a step by step of what you need to do...

1) Open up the mkv file in MKV Extract GUI (you will need to download MKV Extract GUI and MKV toolnix here... http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_...vextractgui.cfm and here http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_.../mkvtoolnix.cfm
2) Extract the streams using MKV Extract GUI
3) Run the raw h264 through h264info tool and change profile level to 4.1 (if you need to download this tool, here it is http://www.digital-digest.com/software/H264info.html )
4) Load the NEW h264 file and the ac3 file into tsMuxeR, save it as m2ts... and all should be good for your PS3 to play it

That doesn't work all the time tho, as sometimes you have to re encode the H264 to 4.1 just changing the profile in h264info tool will result in the same process and you'll have a black screen with no sound. It's not just about the H264 steam it's the DTS the ps3 has problems with as well it likes the sound in Ac3 format. So you would have to change the sound format as well before placing back in when making your new MKV file.
It all depends on the information held within the MKV on if you'll have to encode it or not. 7 out of 10 times you won't but sometimes you will. The best thing to so is just let Mkv2vob handle it all does take a fair while but it's worth it.
If you download MKV files which say's it's from a HDTV source then you won't need to encode or change anythink with that file as it's already set to 4.1. So if you just place it in Mkv2vob put the settings you want it will muxer it in a couple of minutes.

cheers, but i have let mkv2vob transcode them etc, and they still only lasted a few seconds even though the file was still massive, just seems hit and miss, some work some dont

should check the mkv file in media player. If it has a break in the file or the picture goes funny this will class as it being corrupt and even tho Mkv2vob will convert the file, it won't play. I can't see this being the issue but in the past i have downloaded a bad MKV file where 1 second of the film was bad and resulted in it not working right.
you could try to burn the m2ts to dvd, i've never streamed my files as it;s easy for me just to put them on dual layer or 2 dvd's.
its just a class of using Nero and making a Data dvd and place the file in there.

Ok, sussed it, I have been doing everything fine, but because I was storing my m2ts files on an external usb hard drive and then streaming them over the wireless network, it wasnt a quick enough connection, have put the files back onto my internal hard drive and now they playing fine, just might have to get a bigger internal drive as a slave now :)

Back