Missing lower frequecies in scan

firel3lade

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys this is my first post with my first problem I hope someone can help. After using this forum to set up my first 500C dreambox successfully I have just purchased second 500C to use upstairs (both originals from dvb) but when I do a scan it starts at 282MHz whereas my first box starts at 130MHz hence it misses about 30 channels from the lower end of the frequency range eg. ABC1, E4, Sentanda Golf etc. Can anyone shed any light, thanx in advance. :eater: :eater: :eater:

Hi guys this is my first post with my first problem I hope someone can help. After using this forum to set up my first 500C dreambox successfully I have just purchased second 500C to use upstairs (both originals from dvb) but when I do a scan it starts at 282MHz whereas my first box starts at 130MHz hence it misses about 30 channels from the lower end of the frequency range eg. ABC1, E4, Sentanda Golf etc. Can anyone shed any light, thanx in advance. :eater: :eater: :eater:
I had the same problem with mine upstairs. This is a very common problem with Dm500's. Add a booster behind the box, Argos do a £8.99 one that works quite well.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5344235.htm

Hi guys thanx for your quick reply, I have tried a booster which made no difference and I have also moved the box downstairs onto the same cable connection as my first box but it still starts scanning from 282MHz, its as if the tuner cann't start scanning any lower

i got exactly the same problem, never managed to get those missing channels, and i never got round to getting the argos booster yet either.
any comments on if these boosters will sort it will be appreciated.

Devilfish i cant replace the original cables.xml with the new one you posted the link too, i cant rename it or delete it either, hope its something simple ?
Oh i forgot i am using DW 1.6.2.

Devilfish i just checked line against line my cables.xml and the link to the one you sent me and they seem to be both identical.

Last edited:
What splitters are you using?

Does it cover the frequencies in question?

i dont know what the splitter freq is, but i do know i used to have a dbox that scanned and got all transponders, not like my dreambox.
How do i find the splitter frequency ?

Hi Guys, I have now tried a booster on the second box but it made no difference. I have also disconnected everything on my cable network and connected it straight to the incoming cable, still no difference. I have also checked my cable.xml file and it is the same as the one posted but still this box insists on starting its scan at 282MHz. Do you think I might have a faulty tuner??

yeah ive found the low freqs i loose, even with a booster. so ive lost discovery and mtv's. ill have the check the cable.xml

Can the cable.xml file be edited to include frequencies very close to the transponder which I don't pick up without a booster?

eg I take the line:

<transponder frequency="291000000" symbol_rate="6952000" fec_inner="3" modulation="3"/>

and add further lines around this frequency

<transponder frequency="290500000" symbol_rate="6952000" fec_inner="3" modulation="3"/>
<transponder frequency="290750000" symbol_rate="6952000" fec_inner="3" modulation="3"/>
<transponder frequency="291000000" symbol_rate="6952000" fec_inner="3" modulation="3"/>
<transponder frequency="291250000" symbol_rate="6952000" fec_inner="3" modulation="3"/>
<transponder frequency="291500000" symbol_rate="6952000" fec_inner="3" modulation="3"/>
<transponder frequency="291750000" symbol_rate="6952000" fec_inner="3" modulation="3"/>
<transponder frequency="292000000" symbol_rate="6952000" fec_inner="3" modulation="3"/>

Would an edited cable.xml file cause a problem with the software?

How do I check if I have the old or new tuners in my two boxes, could this explain why my second box misses the lower frequencies from 130MHz - 282MHz and my first box works fine? Thanx

How do I check if I have the old or new tuners in my two boxes, could this explain why my second box misses the lower frequencies from 130MHz - 282MHz and my first box works fine? Thanx

Open the boxes (will invalidate the warranty), if the tuners are the same to look at swap them over, I believe they just slot in.

You should then be able to tell if the tuner is at fault.

Back