Media problem, possibly?

IAmATeaf

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Installed an Argon over the weekend and got busy copying some disks from my cousin, I had a whole stack of Verbatim and Imation DVD+R disks, so tested a backup on each and the game seemed to load so thought great so copied the rest.

Now to the problem, the game loads and appears and you can start it but during gameplay the few that I've tried just come up with a disk could not be read type error, if I eject the disk and then pop it back in then it'll sometimes continue for another few minutes.

The Wii is only around a month old by the way so is a likely cause that I've used DVD+R disks? I burnt them all at 2x and set the booktype on them to DVD-R. I'm going to get some printable Verbatim DVD-Rs tomorrow to test with but was just looking for some advice from seasoned modders :)

I use DVD-R personally, is the Argon up to date?

I had one the other day, fitted it, it wouldnt boot orinials but booted the backups fine lol

make sure u have latest wii updates (via net prefferably) as this really does fix disk read errors.

and make sure the argon is running 1.8 firmware. i have come across oggy`s problem a long time ago with firmware 1.3

regards
jase

If you have got 1.8fw and it still happens Try some games with the Wii lid off play them for a while and see if it happens then, also the 4 screws the hold the drive down make sure they are not really tight.

I had problems with certain Wii's with Verb +R. So there is definately a media issue.

I bought a load from staples and do not use them now since had to many DRE's even at x4 speed.

Use cheapo Ritek Dye at x4 with no problems.

Just burnt a couple of games onto Verbatim DVD-Rs so will test them tonight.

@Oggy/Jase - Argon is running 1.8 and the Wii is running the latest 3.2E software.

Last edited:
If you have got 1.8fw and it still happens Try some games with the Wii lid off play them for a while and see if it happens then, also the 4 screws the hold the drive down make sure they are not really tight.

I might try loosening the screws as I'm well known for over tightening things :)

Copied some the games onto Verbatim DVD-R printables and so far it looks like it's fixed the problem, didn't have much time to test cause of the match but it's looking good :)

I had this problem some time ago. I only use Verb DVD-R now and they are always fine. Although I had to use Verb DL DVD+R the other day for SSBB and that worked first time so.. they work too :Biggrin2:

Back