Media Extender

gillettos

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting one but just woundered if I could use it as a windows media extnder, as it has a rj45 port. Has anyone tried this or do they no if it would be possible???

Hi gillettos,

You question is very good and I would love to answer it for, however I don't know what a media extender is.

Go on then whats a media extender?

trooperboy

Soz for the delay with the reply!

Basically I've got my pc set up in the comp room upstairs and installed on it is windows xp media centre edition. To find out about media centre, all the stuff can be found on the microsoft web site, (if ya do no already?). Anyway what I need to do is send the signal from my computer which has the dream box connected to it, as the computer acts as a recorder (basically the equivalent of sky+). This is where these media extenders come into it! Basically they then operate the computers media centre (wirelessly) which lets you use the TV independant of the computer.

So was just woundering if these dreambox's could have software loaded into them which would be either media centre (or something similiar like media portal)?

Sounds like you need an IR repeater to me. You mount one in your living room and the other in the computer room. When you point the remote at the sensor and press the button it then sends those signals to your computer room.

This sounds like an expensive way of recording to me. It sounds like you have built a PVR. I've built one of them out of an old PC and a budger PCI DVB-C card. I spend around £50 on the entire project.

I use RitzDVB to display the channels (decoding with Yanksee and fenrir) and stuck an IRMAN IR receiver on the box so I could use it like a PVR. It records all my programs straight into MPEG2 and compatable to go straight onto DVB without conversion.

trooperboy

P.S. You might have to excuse my spelling, I got drunk at my brothers birthday party tonight.

gillettos said:
Soz for the delay with the reply!

Basically I've got my pc set up in the comp room upstairs and installed on it is windows xp media centre edition. To find out about media centre, all the stuff can be found on the microsoft web site, (if ya do no already?). Anyway what I need to do is send the signal from my computer which has the dream box connected to it, as the computer acts as a recorder (basically the equivalent of sky+). This is where these media extenders come into it! Basically they then operate the computers media centre (wirelessly) which lets you use the TV independant of the computer.

So was just woundering if these dreambox's could have software loaded into them which would be either media centre (or something similiar like media portal)?

Hi gillettos, in answer to your question you'd be better to look at something like a D-Link DSM-320, the dreambox can be setup to do what you want but not without you getting your hands dirty so to speak and even then you would not be guaranteed a great result as there are a number of factors that would need to be considered.

A plug and go option like the D-Link DSM-320 (around £110) unites your network with your home entertainment center, allowing you to share, access, and enjoy your digital media-whether it is music, videos, or photos-in the comfort of your living room; (Amazon qte)

Thanks for the advice, I'll do a bit more research, sounds like the D-Link DSM-320 is probably what I'm thinking off, can get them off ebay for around £60 - £80. Not that bad really!

Thanks again!

Back