media centre

bennyboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi im looking for a media centre so i can plug it in to my tv thro hdmi and watch movies does any one know which ones are good and which format is the best quailty ? (hd)

Thanks all

Hi im looking for a media centre so i can plug it in to my tv thro hdmi and watch movies does any one know which ones are good and which format is the best quailty ? (hd)

Thanks all

I have had a Popcorn hour A110 for about a year. It copes with just about all formats. x264 is the best for reducing the size of the HD movie files with 720p around the 4Gb to 8Gb and 1080p from 7Gb to 12GB on average. Picture quality is awesome. Full blueray files are about 30Gb if you are downloading. Very time consuming.

My Popcorn hour did have to go back to America as the motherboard stopped working so I was without it for a month. Just had to send the motherboard back and its been fine since.

Plenty of skins etc for it and it can be used for much more than I have the skill or time to learn about. Steaming from the net etc...
Check it out in a search engine.

Jenzo

For something that will play everything that you could possibly download I'd build a media centre machine. The parts would cost no more than £200 including a slim case.

I'm going to throw in the WDTV but I never heard of Xtreamer before, I will check that out Thommo...cheers.

WDTV has a lot of support and does more han what it officially says because there has been a lot of open source work on it. Not sure if Xtreamer has that support but I will chck it out.

it has its own forums and is the popcorn without the price tag, its also a networked media center like the popcorn, nas drive, external usb hard drive or add internal one, strwam from pc ect... it does it all. i believe the wdtv thingy is just a player and not a networked media player?

does the WDTV play vob files and iso files do you know cause they dont seem to be listed

I'm going to throw in the WDTV but I never heard of Xtreamer before, I will check that out Thommo...cheers.

WDTV has a lot of support and does more han what it officially says because there has been a lot of open source work on it. Not sure if Xtreamer has that support but I will chck it out.

I suggest another path. Get a PS3 and stream content to it from another PC on your network.

This is what I do and it plays everything, every format. If there is a format that the PS3 doesnt handle itself, like MKV, the streaming program will convert it on-the-fly. I use PS3mediaserver, but you could use lots of others, like tversity.

The best part is you also get a blu-ray player and games console thrown in.

You can download and stream movies in true blu-ray format (M2TS) and stream them to get full quality 1080p HD.

I suggest another path. Get a PS3 and stream content to it from another PC on your network.

This is what I do and it plays everything, every format. If there is a format that the PS3 doesnt handle itself, like MKV, the streaming program will convert it on-the-fly. I use PS3mediaserver, but you could use lots of others, like tversity.

The best part is you also get a blu-ray player and games console thrown in.

You can download and stream movies in true blu-ray format (M2TS) and stream them to get full quality 1080p HD.

on the fly encoding reduces the quality of the movie, so if ur playing a mkv, ur not watching at the same quality that e.g. a popcorn will play it

it has its own forums and is the popcorn without the price tag, its also a networked media center like the popcorn, nas drive, external usb hard drive or add internal one, strwam from pc ect... it does it all. i believe the wdtv thingy is just a player and not a networked media player?

the new wd hd media player has an ethernet port and is supposed to have sorted the dts audio issues

hi, ive been looking for a new media player and have come accross this one i think i quite like and wondered if anyone had one ? and if any good, its a
Sumvision Cyclone MKV 1080p HD Media Player Enclosure and heres a link to one of many places to get it from

Sumvision Cyclone MKV Full 1080p HDMI Network Media Player Enclosure - Retail Box - Ebuyer

this is the enclosure on its own and you can get it also with a 1.5tb hard drive already in for £160,

hi, ive been looking for a new media player and have come accross this one i think i quite like and wondered if anyone had one ? and if any good, its a
Sumvision Cyclone MKV 1080p HD Media Player Enclosure and heres a link to one of many places to get it from

Sumvision Cyclone MKV Full 1080p HDMI Network Media Player Enclosure - Retail Box - Ebuyer

this is the enclosure on its own and you can get it also with a 1.5tb hard drive already in for £160,

make sure its a v2, otherwise you will have problems with dts

on the fly encoding reduces the quality of the movie, so if ur playing a mkv, ur not watching at the same quality that e.g. a popcorn will play it

Actually I should have said on-the-fly transcoding. PS3mediaserver doesnt drop any quality of video or sound when sending MKV files to the PS3, it keep full 1080p, full bandwidth and full DTS or dolby digital sound. It transcodes it to M2TS format which is higher quality than MKV anyway.

Last edited:
no i ant either but id go for v2 anyway,thanks for heads up though, might give it ago then looks pretty gud to me

try the mede8er med500x multimedia player has movie jukebox cost about £140_£150 in the uk

Back