Max232 and NTL 250 connections

Curious123

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Can someone guide me with what colours connect to what pin on the NTL 250 so that I cannot connect the modem to the computer. My max232 has the following colurs

Red +
Black -
Yellow Rx
Green Tx

Hello all,
Can someone guide me with what colours connect to what pin on the NTL 250 so that I cannot connect the modem to the computer. My max232 has the following colurs

Red +
Black -
Yellow Rx
Green Tx

hi m8 i cannot remember which side i put the plug into the modem but the wires are black, yellow, red and green in that order, my max 232 is from wayne if that helps any

Sorry guys but i am even more dimmer than you realise! I got mine from Wayneboy too, I have connected one end of the lead to the max chip and its as G,Y,B,R now I can see the picture and you are showing me what all the pins are but I really is what colur goes on what pin?

Sorry guys but i am even more dimmer than you realise! I got mine from Wayneboy too, I have connected one end of the lead to the max chip and its as G,Y,B,R now I can see the picture and you are showing me what all the pins are but I really is what colur goes on what pin?

if you have the colours in the plug that goes to modem in the order of the post above, then if you are not getting a connection move the plig fron the left to the right leaving out pin 1 instead of 4 if still no joy then turn your plug around 180 degrees and try again leaving out pin 1 and if no connection then leave out pin 4, there are only 4 ways it can plug in and as long as your cable order is same as my last post then 1 of the ways will connect

i think this is wayneboy setup the ezs thing is look on the jtag and see how the wires are coming out on wayneboy jtag its + - rx tx and just match it to the pins on the modem

wayne normally leaves the wires not connected to the plug you have to do that but he puts a small note in saying what colours are what

wayne normally leaves the wires not connected to the plug you have to do that but he puts a small note in saying what colours are what

if you can see the order of the wires in my pics this is from one of waynes max232's and i guess he does them all the same? i just cannot remember how i had it plugged in but the order of the wires in the plug is correct

I really appreciate the time effort you guys have gone to helping me, thank you. Wayne left one end undone and wired the other end to the connector, looking at the pics it different to yours. I am not knowledgeable enough to know if it makes any difference but what I might try and do is make it the same as yours at both ends. Thanks again for taking the time to help mate, really appreciate it.

View attachment 25177 this one i brought from wayne note on the circit board reading from left to right its green , yellow , black , red the other end is yellow , red , green , black .....hope this helps

Last edited:
I really appreciate the time effort you guys have gone to helping me, thank you. Wayne left one end undone and wired the other end to the connector, looking at the pics it different to yours. I am not knowledgeable enough to know if it makes any difference but what I might try and do is make it the same as yours at both ends. Thanks again for taking the time to help mate, really appreciate it.

m8 mine was the same, the end that had the plug on it is different from the end that goes onto modem, just follow the pics for the cables you need to push into the plug and leave the end with the plug already on as it is
i have red, black,yellow and green on side connected to max232 and green, red, yellow and black on the end going into modem
this is looking at the plugs from left to right and with the 2 plastic guide lugs looking up

it seems ours are different nightcrawler ? but as long as 1 way works..lol...

Last edited:
one end of my lead was the same as Night crawler so I made the other end the same as his hoping to get a connection to the 250 but just not getting there at all. Maybe there is something wrong with my lead from the max to the pc. This is really fustrating. Will try again tomorrow.

one end of my lead was the same as Night crawler so I made the other end the same as his hoping to get a connection to the 250 but just not getting there at all. Maybe there is something wrong with my lead from the max to the pc. This is really fustrating. Will try again tomorrow.
m8 if u look on back of ur jtag where the 4 pins r u will see 4 solder joints above does joints u will tiny little lettering from ur left is + then - then rx then tx so set 1 end ur audio cable like this to fit onto the on the jtag red=+ then black=- then yellow =rx then green=tx then other end to fit the modem pin as follow black=- or ground then green=tx then red=+or v then yellow=rx like in this pic and make ther making proper contact and make sure hyper terminal is set up correctly and it should work

it is possable your extension lead maybe the wrong one what i did was to remove the metal sleave so i could just plug it straight into my com port without usin a extension

A big thanks to all of you guys who helped me with the max. I can now talk to my 250, where I am now having a problem is with the step after ' Download and save to flash'. I have started the tftpd32.exe and I type in the tftp filename and all I get is the timeout messages

==========
d) Download and save to f and run from RAM
c) Store icePROM bootloader to flash
b) Boot from flash
e) Erase flash Store bootloader parameters to flash
i) Re-init ethernet
r) Read memory
TFTP Get Selected

Board TFTP Server IP Address [0.0.0.0]: 192.168.100.10
Enter TFTP filename []: 250hack_dump_telnet.bin

Free store: a0500000
Starting TFTP of 250hack_dump_telnet.bin from 192.168ack_dump_telnet.bin using o
ctet mode
Tftp timeout...
Tftp timeout...
Tftp timeout...
Tftp timeout...
Tftp timeout...
Tftp timeout...
Retry limit exceeded on block 1....Aborting session
Store para

Where am I going wrong?

Tried it with the laptopand and various network cards, tried it with a desktop and it is still sh*te. Just can't seem to get past this timeout errors. Maybe it will make a good frisbee!

I seem to remember reading an older post where the user was having similar problems.
Try storing the tftpd32.exe and the *.bin file in a root dir, e.g.: C:\
and then try the process again.

curious123,
did you fix the problem or not i have same problem of the timeout. if you fix that problem then would you please help me to sort my problem out. thanks

curious123,
did you fix the problem or not i have same problem of the timeout. if you fix that problem then would you please help me to sort my problem out. thanks
check ur network card settings is correct and check to make sure u enter the correct name of the flie and the tftpd32 current directory is pointed to the correct folder where the file is located. 99% of the time these r reasons for timeout errors

Last edited:
Back