Mate got ripped off today

fitzybhoy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Well I think he did. His drive was acting up and he phoned a shop in Glasgow (it's the only one I know that does flashing). They quoted him £60 to replace the drive. He previously had his old drive flashed by them and the deal was that if anything went wrong with his machine (3ROD) and it had to go back to MS then they would restore his firmware and reflash it when he got it back for free. Sounded like a good deal.

He assumed that as he was getting his drive replace by them, flashing would be included, until he went to pick it up today and they told him that as it was a completely different drive, they charged him and extra £40 for the flash. Grand total £100.

Complete rip off and bad form if you ask me.

What do you think??

Why didn't he do it himself, fook filling the pockets of these thieves.

The thing is mate, they do good work, they are relaible but ultimately they are the only place that most people know can do this type of work and charge accordingly. I've got stuff done with them before and was happy. But their prices are pretty steep. I was charged £50 for an ms28.

Previously it was £50 for an original xbox chip xecutor2. and £25 for an evox upgrade. I saw the light when I had an old xbox on it's last legs and tried a hd upgrade myself. Starting from scratch and reading a tut I was up and running in less than an hour. I won't be going back there again.

I think my drive is ready to pack in as well. In all honesty, how easy is it to do an ms28 for the first time??

It is expensive mate, but as you said its the only place you know that could flash. I paid £92 for a messiah to be fitted mate, £50 for original xbox flash, and £40 for my passkey to be fitted. But I save in the long run, and thats all that matters.

u need to grab your firmware off ya 360, order in another sammy ms28 (if poss, saves spoofing , i did one for a friend, got it off fleabay, it was a sammy 28, got it from the states for about £32 thats inc posting you can of course just get a new laser if you feel you can replace yours ) if you have your firmware off your ms28, you can flash it straight onto your new one, piece of pee, thats what I done, I was gonna spoof but I thought its ithe same drive etc, should just take the firmware and it did, if your stuck m8 give me a shout, I will do it for you for nowt, as in flashing, you get the drive etc and post it, cant be doing seeing peeps getting ripped off.

oh and yeah, they did rip your m8 off, even a drive off fleabay over here with posting is around 40 ish quid, plus 40 to flash it?? They are having a laff, scotland you say lol, well there you go, not much to add to that :)

oh and yeah, they did rip your m8 off, even a drive off fleabay over here with posting is around 40 ish quid, plus 40 to flash it?? They are having a laff, scotland you say lol, well there you go, not much to add to that :)

Add another 20 for labour mate. Originally quoted £60 for replacement for drive and a sneaky £40 for the flash

Shop

What was the name of the shop?
I go to a place in Finnieston across from PC world?
Wont name it but they have been good for me

Last edited:
Did they use vaseline?

Jeez, Id of supplied / fitted and returned the whole console for £50

My mate decided with all the probs on his machine just to buy another one. He has ordered an elite with the falcon chipset. Against his better judgement he phone the shop again and asked for them to spoof his drive and put it in the elite. They said it could not be done and want another £90 to flash it. Can it be spoofed or are they just ripping him off again.

My mate decided with all the probs on his machine just to buy another one. He has ordered an elite with the falcon chipset. Against his better judgement he phone the shop again and asked for them to spoof his drive and put it in the elite. They said it could not be done and want another £90 to flash it. Can it be spoofed or are they just ripping him off again.

It can be spoofed from what I know mate. And £90 for flashing is a joke. lol. Speak to Highlander, or XBC or someone, they will do it for half of that. lol.

Not sure if this will help ...

I got an elite myself 2 weeks ago and it has a benq drive, my old "dead" 360 had a Samsung MS25. So what I did was got the key from the benq, then put it on my Samsung and spoofed it as benq and it worked.

Not sure if this will help ...

I got an elite myself 2 weeks ago and it has a benq drive, my old "dead" 360 had a Samsung MS25. So what I did was got the key from the benq, then put it on my Samsung and spoofed it as benq and it worked.

Cheers mate that's exactly what he wants to do. He phoned MS the other day to find tell them about RROD and how he fixed it himself, but wanted to know if he bought a new 360 how could he be sure that the new machine is free of this defect. They told him to go to a large chain (who have high turnover) and get one that is out of stock. So he went with curry's 7 days before they get them back in and it should have the falcon chipset. Now all he has to worry about is not getting a lite on drive.

It can be spoofed from what I know mate. And £90 for flashing is a joke. lol. Speak to Highlander, or XBC or someone, they will do it for half of that. lol.

Will speak to my mate and then pm one of these guys when he gets the machine. Thanks for the info.

Will speak to my mate and then pm one of these guys when he gets the machine. Thanks for the info.

The shop are technically correct - although raping you/him

They would need to dump the firmware from the Elite (probably pricing it as a Hitachi v79)

Extract the key, insert and spoof into the old drive.

Thats why they are charging.

To be fair, if I was the only one who was in the area, Id charge that if I could get away with it.

your making it sound like at least...ohhhh, 20 mins work :)

your making it sound like at least...ohhhh, 20 mins work :)

Never done a v79 then?

Is said thats why they are chargin, I also stated they are raping him at £90.

Ive received £60 for a v79 before

Back