Married tax allowance were and how to claim

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't know about it till the missus mentioned it. She's on a low wage so took a look and low and behold they'll owe us OVER 600 nika Makes a change from me owing some other f**ker
Marriage tax allowance: what are the rules?

and here's were to claim

Apply for Marriage Allowance - GOV.UK

The only info you need are name N.I. number and passport numbers. The lowest earner claims it which in our case is the wife.

Be careful and calculate before you claim because say your missus earns just under the £11,500 threshold figure you can end up claiming and actually be worse off. My missus is only part time so she qualifies quite comfortable

I told a few pals yesterday and 4 qualify and claimed, money for old rope

This allowance was extensively discussed on here when it was introduced two years ago.

One little wrinkle to be aware of. The lower earner transfers 10% of the personal allowance, which is £1,150, to the higher earner who will save tax at 20%, which is £230. The lower earner then has a reduced tax allowance of £10,350 and will remain a non-taxpayer only if income is below that figure.
If not, the lower earner (usually the wife) will be paying a small amount of tax for the higher earner to get the £230.

True but say your missus is in a part time job say £100 to £150 which plenty while bringing up kids then it's a no brainer but if your border lining on the amount and unsure ? bell them they'll explain to you if it's worth your while or not ;-

0300 200 3300

Think how many stay at home mums or dads that don't know and don't claim. Time to claw back cause I know one thing, if the boot were on the other foot you'd be inundated with brown letters through the door demanding payment.

Does anyone know how they pay you back the back dated tax ? , check , back to your account ? through your pay slip ?

You'll receive a cheque for earlier years (£432 in total if you claimed for both 15/16 and 16/17). The current year's claim will be effected by increasing your tax code by 115; that will give a one-off reduction in your tax of about £150 the first time your employer uses the new code, then about £4.50 a week or £19 a month for the rest of the tax year.

Speak of the devil , just got a letter from the tax office, we'll get a check for £429.23 in the next 14 days one question bamber when you said
" that will give a one-off reduction in your tax of about £150 the first time your employer uses the new code" does that mean I'll get a tax rebate of about £150 in my pay pack ?

The £429.23 is for the years 2015/16 and 2016/17. As we are now three quarters through the year 2017/18, you will also get a rebate for this year. As Bamber stated you will will receive this as a rebate in your pay packet of around £150/160, then a reduction in your weekly tax of around £4.40 per week making a total of £230 for the full year.

Silverdale/Kopernikus, it won't be a rebate of £150, but an adjustment of that amount to the tax you were paying before. For instance, if you are paid weekly and have been paying £50 a week tax, you will get a rebate of £100; if you are paid monthly and have been paying £200 a month tax, it will go down to £50.

Silverdale/Kopernikus, it won't be a rebate of £150, but an adjustment of that amount to the tax you were paying before. For instance, if you are paid weekly and have been paying £50 a week tax, you will get a rebate of £100; if you are paid monthly and have been paying £200 a month tax, it will go down to £50.
Still sounds like a £150 rebate to me. :rolleyes:

Chookey, you and I would understand that, but others would expect "£150 rebate" to mean no tax deducted and a refund of that amount.

You obviously know what you're on about bamber but I cant get me head round what you mean. I was thinking like you said that, once the employer activates the new tax code they will then rebate you on what you've overpaid up to the new tax code activation and any any future tax payments you make will be taken at the new higher married tax allowance

Assuming that you are on a regular wage, look at what you have been paying in tax each week or month and deduct £150; the answer will be the tax you pay or the refund you receive the first time the new code is used. That is only an approximation, because the exact amount depends on which week or month the code is first used. I can't be more precise without knowing what you earn!

Back