Manually booting and flashing

sijones

Inactive User
Reaction score
does anyone know how to load the erase.img or some image over the serial cable manually?

as dreamup can not seem to do it and i can get to the boot prompt so i know i can do it...

sijones said:
does anyone know how to load the erase.img or some image over the serial cable manually?

as dreamup can not seem to do it and i can get to the boot prompt so i know i can do it...

Can you connect via the serial?

Have you tried to erase the image using DreamUp first?

yes i can connect by serial, but dreamup can't seem to get it to flash itself.

i have found a bit more out now, the reason it's not booting is because the bootloader command is wrong, it has rootfs=/dev/mtdblock5 when changed to root=/dev/mtdblock5 it seems to boot but then fails to find some files and falls over again....

so i think the way i could rescue it is to supply a nfs root partition with the tools to flash in... or be able to send a image file using the boot loader command but i don't know how to do that...

sijones said:
yes i can connect by serial, but dreamup can't seem to get it to flash itself.

i have found a bit more out now, the reason it's not booting is because the bootloader command is wrong, it has rootfs=/dev/mtdblock5 when changed to root=/dev/mtdblock5 it seems to boot but then fails to find some files and falls over again....

so i think the way i could rescue it is to supply a nfs root partition with the tools to flash in... or be able to send a image file using the boot loader command but i don't know how to do that...

Have you tried to erase with DreamUp?

Think you have these but...

Dingodog said:

My suggestion is use DreamUp to erase the image on the box, disconnect the power and then reconnect via null modem, use erase.img & then dm500_rel108, this will give you 'factory default' you can then set the IP on the box and start with a new image.

Sorry but as far as I know DreamUp sends the bootloader flash when it first connects to the box, you are a few steps in front of me, if the box is completly dead then you may do well to visit the Dream Multimedia forums.

Last edited:
Multiboot

Is there not Multiboot software for the 500, just install another image, then delete the old image using Multiboot, this works fine on the 7000s

Can't u set the box to fact default from the menu's in the Drnbox using the remote.

i can't do any of what anyone has suggested.

It will not boot, so can't use flash image pro.

Dreamup wont work at all, in any mode.

If i telnet to the box i can get the boot menu by pressing return when prompted, i can also alter the boot command and get it to sort of boot, but then it falls over.

the boot command seems to be saying rootfs=/dev/mtdblock5 which causes a kernel panic, but if i put root=/dev/mtdblock5 it does mount and boot but complains files are missing.

I know something didn't flash properly when i used the image that has been modified, don't if's because i had a neutrino image on and this other is enigma but the whole filesystem is currupt.

I maybe able to get it up if i can create a NFS filesystem forit to mount or if i know how to send the erase.img file over serial to it....

sijones said:
i can't do any of what anyone has suggested.

It will not boot, so can't use flash image pro.

Dreamup wont work at all, in any mode.

If i telnet to the box i can get the boot menu by pressing return when prompted, i can also alter the boot command and get it to sort of boot, but then it falls over.

the boot command seems to be saying rootfs=/dev/mtdblock5 which causes a kernel panic, but if i put root=/dev/mtdblock5 it does mount and boot but complains files are missing.

I know something didn't flash properly when i used the image that has been modified, don't if's because i had a neutrino image on and this other is enigma but the whole filesystem is currupt.

I maybe able to get it up if i can create a NFS filesystem forit to mount or if i know how to send the erase.img file over serial to it....

Hate to say this but I'm out of my depth now, if you can Telnet to the box then it must have an IP right, if the box has an IP then some part of it must be working ok....

When you refer to a serial cable do you mean null modem? Dont want to sound patronizing but need to be clear. As I said in my earlier post if the box is completly dead then you may do well to visit the Dream Multimedia forums or contacting DM direct....it's worth a shot.

when i say serial cable, yes a null modem cable is connected between pc and box and i can use the serial port to change the boot options etc.... just need to learn how to reflash the thing....

sijones said:
when i say serial cable, yes a null modem cable is connected between pc and box and i can use the serial port to change the boot options etc.... just need to learn how to reflash the thing....

DreamUp doesn't work at ALL does it give you an error message?

[DLMURL]http://www.dm500.de[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a god!!!!!

I searched the web for a while and found a beta version of dreamup, this version allowed me to flash it with just the serial connected... well actually i erased the flash then connected the network and restart the connection....

and perfect, booted flashed....

Jeez thank god 4 that lol, cmon m8 ave another shot and keep us informed how your doin.

sijones said:
There is a god!!!!!

I searched the web for a while and found a beta version of dreamup, this version allowed me to flash it with just the serial connected... well actually i erased the flash then connected the network and restart the connection....

and perfect, booted flashed....

Whooooo hoooo lol 'the brick is reborn' DreamUp is supposed to let you flash it like this anyway, I think because it's a standalone prog it does throw the odd wobbler, I know I had a few issues that required restarts and even then it sometimes hung.

Great to see you are almost back though keep us posted...

sijones said:
put gemini 2.50 on now... anyone know how to configure the cam etc..?

Is the cam on? haven't used 2.50 myself but if it's configured already it's simply a case of starting it..

av sort that bit, just needed to tell it to use the evo instead of common interface...

next thing i seem to get to picture break up after a little time on a channel, it's just been really bad on itv2 but changing channel and then back again has cleared it...

what sort of signal does it need to give a good picture?

sijones said:
av sort that bit, just needed to tell it to use the evo instead of common interface...

next thing i seem to get to picture break up after a little time on a channel, it's just been really bad on itv2 but changing channel and then back again has cleared it...

what sort of signal does it need to give a good picture?

Dont know if your in a TW area but they are doin a lot of network upgrades at the minute we got 3 hours of block pics last night even through a subbed box. You may have a low SNR which can be upped bu using a booster on the cable box, if you have a subbed box simply call the cable co and they should send you one.

I had the pic break up with Gemini 2.5 but since I've put neutrino on its ok' sometimes I get a short stutter when I change channels

i tried neutrino and found less channels and it was e4+1 that was the problem!!!

going to give it a while to settle in i think...

Back