Man fined for carrying gobstopper

karym6

DW Regular
Reaction score
A man caught carrying a large gobstopper in a sock has been fined £400 after it was found to be an offensive weapon.

Jamie Harvey, 20, said he needed it for protection after he was attacked.

At Edinburgh Sheriff Court he admitted carrying the snooker ball-sized gobstopper and sock at a city leisure centre on 19 December last year.

Defence agent Matthew Nicholson said the sweet was "a substantial piece of confectionary" which could be eaten.

The court heard how unemployed Harvey, from the Maybury area of Edinburgh, kept the gobstopper under his car seat.

He was caught at Drumbrae Leisure Centre by police who were searching for cannabis.

Sheriff Kenneth McIver told him that, even though it was not in the same category as a knife or axe, it was capable of inflicting a nasty injury.

"You will be aware of the ongoing national debate on offensive weapons including knives," he told Harvey.

"But all too often this court has to consider other improvised weapons like this."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7554912.stm

i have hands at the end of my wrists, could i be fined, since a fist is a weapon.

No but if you went around wearing freddy krugger style glove knives and had them in your car im sure you would get fined, lol...

No but if you went around wearing freddy krugger style glove knives and had them in your car im sure you would get fined, lol...

i am just trying to state a point that this is nuts, the human body is a deadly weapon.

Everything can be used as a weapon, however actually turning something into a weapon and driving around with it in your car is another thing...

The gob stopper itself is fine, however having it in a sock in your car, what other reason is there for that apart from having it as a weapon, its the same as carrying a bat in your car :)

i keep a telescopic wheel wrench in my side pocket of car.

you never know when you might need to replace wheel on your car, or even help out a poor old lady when her wheel blows out on her little motor.

i am just trying to state a point that this is nuts, the human body is a deadly weapon.

Poor example really, he has placed a bob stopper (might as well of been a snookerball) in a sock for one purpose only, to inflict harm on someone, a fist is a part of your body and can but used for more than one purpose.

Do you think it right that every tom dick and harry is carrying a weapon ?

Knives guns there all the same you carry a weapon you deserve every thing you get.

i keep a telescopic wheel wrench in my side pocket of car.

you never know when you might need to replace wheel on your car, or even help out a poor old lady when her wheel blows out on her little motor.

How funny thats where i keep mine there so mutch better than the ones that come with the car that little telescopic bit really helps loosen stubborn nuts lol

how big was this thing? largest ones i knew were jawbreakers, cant see them hurting anyone.
maybe it was some kinky kind of wank sock?

if they are anything like the one's my kids buy then they are bigger then pool balls and to break them it's several blows with a hammer, feckin things are solid

i keep all my tools in my car..

have i got offensive weapons.. no..

but i was once pulled over and they said "you look like you equipped to steal"

i said no, im equiped to replace my hjead gasket, which blew this morning

Hmmmm... A gob stopper wrapped in a sock kept under your seat is not a tool, it will not help you change your tyre, it will not help you repair your car in any possible way...

From the article

"Jamie Harvey, 20, said he needed it for protection after he was attacked"

Its obvious what it was intended for. Also carrying something like that to a leisure centre... :) Also wouldnt there have been a reason why they searched his car for Cannabis???

The prick deserves all he gets, should have been sent down for intent, he clearly had it for a reason, and that was to cause harm to another person.

I can't help but think their was a gang of gay's after him and it was only a measure to be used in self defense ? am I alone ;p

fook him lock him up why else would you carry that in your sock been watching to many films me thinks

Back