man arrested for laughing

STEMAC31

Inactive User
Reaction score
The man who fell off a sofa while laughing at Have I Got News For You - and ended up in court -
A man was handcuffed, arrested and dragged before a court after falling off the settee with laughter while watching Have I Got News For You.
Christopher Cocker, 36, was enjoying the BBC1 show when a joke made by panellist Paul Merton had him doubled up with laughter.
He collapsed on the floor - but the thud startled his downstairs neighbour who, believing he had collapsed, called police.
Officers arrived and said Cocker was initially co-operative but became 'aggressive' when they asked his name and tried to shut his front door.
He was eventually disabled with parva spray through the gap and arrested.
Jonathan Taylor, defending, said: 'The officer accepts in his statement that he struck my client and then sprayed him again.
'He was handcuffed and unceremoniously thrown into the back of a police van. When he ended up in a police cell he was asking himself how all this had happened.'
Mr Taylor told Blackburn Magistrates' Court, Lancs., said that having informed the police he was the only one in the flat and he was fine, his client could not understand why they wanted his details.
'With hindsight he should just have told the police what they wanted to know and they would have gone on their way,' said Mr Taylor.
Cocker, of Blackburn, Lancs., pleaded guilty to resisting a police officer and was given a conditional discharge for six months following the incident on May 20.
A charge of assaulting PC Michael Davies was withdrawn.
Speaking after the hearing, Cocker said he had been in his flat minding his own business.
He said: 'I can't believe it - I was thrown in the back of a police van before being stripped naked and put in a cell.
'I was handcuffed behind my back and my ankles bound with plastic ties before six of them carried me to the van.
''It was something Paul Merton said and I remember falling of the settee, I didn't think it would end up in court.
'I hadn't had a drink or anything, I was just watching TV and all this happened. Paul Merton is one of my favourites. He's really funny.'
Prosecutor Alex Mann said the police went to ensure everything was all right and spoke to Cocker who was 'co-operative and relaxed' and he assured the officers everything was fine.
'He only became worked up when the police asked for his details,' said Mrs Mann.
'The police tried to explain they just needed the name for the report but he became aggressive and started swearing at the officer.'
After the hearing Joan Codling, 57, who lives in the flat below and made the call to police, said she contacted officers after being concerned that he may have fallen ill.
She said: 'I was worried in case he was having an epileptic fit. There was a lot of noise and I didn't know what to do so I called the police.'
A police spokesman said Cocker became 'aggressive' towards the officers who feared for their own safety.
The spokesman said: 'Parva spray was used to stop any confrontation and was necessary to protect the officers and any members of the public who were around at the time.
'Within the circumstances, we feel we used reasonable force.'

Might be worth reading Spectre's sticky at the top of this section steviebhoy31 m8. That way you'll avoid questions about the source.

I've got to agree with digicol. At the point where he answered the door, the police had no idea what had happened and needed to make sure that all was well. They weren't going to just walk away.

Ah well, serves himself right for being a nob head.

The copper just asked for his name, what is wrong with that? If a person can go off his head because a police offer asks for his name then he deserves everything he gets.

yep last time they kicked my door in i should have asked them if they wanted a cup of tea.

we dont live in a police state just yet

how can telling them your name let them no all is well ? they can see that , whats a name going to do...? oh yeah check and see if they got anything on you, after all they aint going to go through all this bother and not even get a nicking.
1 more on there database...

filthy b@stads the lot of em.

And no if i ever needed help i wouldnt phone them. never have and never will.

His name was needed to combat terrorism. Thats the normal excuse in modern britain anyway.
The power & need to get results on paper has made the force insane. They just do what they want which ends up with more & more law abiding people ending up with Cliffy's view.

This was on local news the other day.. the bloke in question has rotten teeth.. missing here.. black there... yuk..

But on the news it was made to look like the police where in the wrong... why should he have to give his name if he has done nothing wrong?? he was in his own home.. all they had to ask was "are you ok" getting pepper sprayed for falling off your couch.. bit extreme..

The bloke tried to close his door because he had done nothing wrong.. plus he was missing his show..

The thread title is actually very misleading. He wasn't arrested for laughing.

But thats what the news report stated..

Not 100% certain on the exact wording but it went something like.

"Tonight on Granada reports, Meet the man arrested for laughing at his favourite tv show"

i thought Paul Mertons jokes were criminal anyway......

*I'll get my coat*

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

When was the last time anyone actually fell off a chair laughing?

I don't think I've ever done it.

I wouldn't spit on a policeman if he was on fire. They have lost my respect as a whole.

When my sisters house is being vandalised, and when the Police called, they say we dont have enough officers to come, well send someone round tomorrow to take a statement. So when my sister replies her husband had gone after the vandles with a rounders bat, they say he shouldnt have done that. 10 minutes later a panda car with sirens blazing appears at my sisters, two officers demanding to talk to my brother-in-law, not even asking about the vandels.

When was the last time anyone actually fell off a chair laughing?

I don't think I've ever done it.

Well its not very often and only if your lucky.... and very good for you !!!

Last time I was physically sick.. doh, I was leaving a restaurant after eating a meal and was told something extremely funny....

Similarly I have been reduced to the floor as it was not possible to stand as my muscles were hurting from exagerated laughing...

I am sad as these moments are far and few between and would give anything to have this feeling on a daily basis...

Ahh well if it happened every day then I guess it wouldnt be special...

Regards Taff

mymate sent me a belter of a pranky and i was reduced to tears and on the floor holding my gut with laughter

omg it was a topper lol

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

This was on local news the other day.. the bloke in question has rotten teeth.. missing here.. black there... yuk..

so if you have a dodgy set of nashers and you don't particularly feel like telling officer dibble what your name is (in your own home mind) then it's a green light for the coppers to give you face full of chemicals?

cant be right. can it?

Back