MAME(Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator)Over 3000+ Arcade Games In 1 Cabinet (Project)

jw2000uk

Inactive User
Reaction score
After 5 months of a pain in this project its finished.

Its basically a arcade thats got all the oldies and new arcade games in one unit.From Pacman,Galaxia,Track & Field. To Streets Of Rage,WWF Wrestlefest,Mortal Kombat,Street Fighter ETC.And Also modern stuff.

It also has all the consoles/handheld upto the Playstation 1/2ish.

Like Atari,Nintendo,Sega,Sony,Neo-Geo,Jaguar,Amiga etc etc.

And the games from these can be configured to run using the arcade controls.

I started off with a PGA Tour cabinet.I then stripped everything out (Including the Monitor).

The cabinet was sanded and painted,Holes were filled etc.

Then i had to get a Control Panel made (the bit with all the controls on)

This was the hardest bit,as i wanted the trackball for golden tee golf etc,Away from the joysticks.

I had a joiner make the wood,Then a local plastics place to make the polycarb cover,And a local GFX place to print the artwork.It was a very slow process but worth it.

Other than the control panel the rest was done by myself.

Once the Cabinet/Control panel were ready.It was on to fitting everything.

the monitor a 27" CRT VERY HEAVY.all the buttons and joysticks,2 wires per movment.And this goes to a keyboard encoder (Minipac i used) And this all goes to a PC in the back.I used a pretty modern spec,but lower ones can do a job.

Speakers - i bought some creative 2.1,ripped the speakers off,and solderd some cheapish car speakers,Sounded 100% better.

The MAME interface is Game EX. A amazing piece of software,this takes about a week to configure,and u never really stop fiddling.the lightgun is a knightmare also,But u get there in the end.

Mame Meaning/Info.
MAME is an emulator application designed to recreate the hardware of arcade game systems in software, with the intent of preserving gaming history and preventing vintage games from being lost or forgotten. The name is an acronym for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator.
The first public MAME release (0.1) was on February 5, 1997, by Nicola Salmoria. As of version 0.125, released May 5, 2008, the emulator now supports 3753 unique games and 7076 actual ROM image sets and is growing all the time. However, not all of the games in MAME are currently playable; 879 ROM sets are marked as not working in the current version, and 35 are not actual games but BIOS ROM sets. The project is currently coordinated by Aaron Giles.

FullCp.jpg

FullMame2.jpg

InAction.jpg

Wireing.jpg

Which lightgun you using?

Some Constructive criticism - why did you not put the trackball in the centre of the control panel rather than sticking it on the side?

You want the best angle possible when playing a game like Golden Tee Golf which will be in line with the centre of the monitor

Last edited:
Which lightgun you using?

Some Constructive criticism - why did you not put the trackball in the centre of the control panel rather than sticking it on the side?

You want the best angle possible when playing a game like Golden Tee Golf which will be in line with the centre of the monitor

Its a Topgun lightgun,works on any screen apparently.

Regarding the trackball.

1.if its in the middle there aint no room tbh.

2. if u want to stand side on u would just wack the joystick.

3.if u stand front on u would wack the glass covering the crt.

It does feel normal mind on the side,as theres nothing to get in the way.

But golden tee is hard as fook anyways lol.

Its a Topgun lightgun,works on any screen apparently.

Regarding the trackball.

1.if its in the middle there aint no room tbh.

2. if u want to stand side on u would just wack the joystick.

3.if u stand front on u would wack the glass covering the crt.

It does feel normal mind on the side,as theres nothing to get in the way.

But golden tee is hard as fook anyways lol.

Fair enough. I suppose if it works for you then that's what matters. I think the artwork on the cab looks brilliant btw

Fair enough. I suppose if it works for you then that's what matters. I think the artwork on the cab looks brilliant btw

When i first got the machine,it was in the middle,and would of stayed there TBH,if i didnt add the sticks,its not good for left handers though lol.

Cheers bud ;-) took ages to get printed.

What a great bit of kit!!! Well done m8 it looks superb :Clap:

All connections nicely crimped up too!!

Curly

cheers bud,Because of the width between buttons,i had to extend 50% of the cables,nightmare,but as u said,a good old crimp and sorted.

Wow that's a lovely bit of kit, nice work :Clap:

All I would want added is a spinner so you can play Arkanoid :Biggrin2:

W.

Wow that's a lovely bit of kit, nice work :Clap:

All I would want added is a spinner so you can play Arkanoid :Biggrin2:

W.

Cheers m8, I looked at the spinners,But they were £££ and im not really an old gen gamer.

But they do make a nice addition.

Looks great !! That must have been a real labour of love!! Im sure you will have many hours of fun!! I will one day get round to building a table top machine - especially now I can see what can be achieved!!!

congrats, looks like a real good setup you have there, love the trackball on the side, nice touch!

Re: MAME(Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator)Over 3000+ Arcade Games In 1 Cabinet (Proje

Looks a good un - love the joypad board. Got a machine myself which is an old sega machine running Mame, WinVice, SNES emulator and various others under MameWah - works brilliantly although as you say - you never stop tweaking!!!

Re: MAME(Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator)Over 3000+ Arcade Games In 1 Cabinet (Proje

Really like your machine that is fantastic m8.. i use the minipac aswell but it annoys the hell out of me sometimes with setting up the buttons!

Yeah i will be upgrading mine soon (PC inside) so i can run some PS2 games from it.

I was thinking about adding a converter so i can put my XBOX360 in there aswell and make some kinda switch so i can switch between PC and xbox and then i was going to extend the drive cable and out the xbox drive flush someone on the top part so i can insert games ?

Might meen taking the 360 apart a little lol.

Awesome project, everything looks so professionally done!

Cabinet looks sweet mate, very nice indeed.
Just out of interest, who much cash do reckon you spent on the whole thing (if you don't mind me asking?).

Thats what i want for christmas.

A fab machine, do you mind me asking which frontend you are using in it and how much has it cost you in total to build the beauty (excluding labour)

now i wanna go at building one have always liked the idea of a cocktail cab.

Will you me making anymore, say maybe with pinball and a jukebox, that would be great.

all the best hun

wow it looks awsome.......u must be a right clever git coz i wouldnt have a clue where to start building 1 of these...u wana sell it?:D well done m8

wow it looks awsome.......u must be a right clever git coz i wouldnt have a clue where to start building 1 of these...u wana sell it?:D well done m8

Hi Lads,Had to re-sign up,

@skiss Unfortunatly i am looking to sell it.Due to my job loss.

If you/anyone is interested drop me a email on [email protected]

Im in Bristol.

Cheers

ace m8 well done

Back