Maloney holds Celtic return talks

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
shaun_682x400_562318a1.jpg

Aston Villa midfielder Shaun Maloney is in Glasgow for talks with Celtic about a possible return to the club.

However, the SPL champions say reports that the 25-year-old has already signed are premature.

Maloney has been persistently linked with a return to Celtic since his switch to Villa Park in January 2007.

Last week, the player's agent John Halliwell claimed that three clubs had expressed an interest in the unsettled Scotland international.

Malaysian-born Maloney, who made his Celtic debut in April 2001, left for a £1m fee after failing to agree new terms at Parkhead.

Maloney has not established himself as a first-team regular at Villa and would face stern competition for a place if he does return to Celtic.

But Celtic midfielder Paul Hartley believes added strength in depth can only be good for the club.

"I played with Shaun at international level and I know what he can bring to the team," said Hartley.

"We have five or six Scottish internationals in the Celtic team already, so he will be another good addition.

"I'm sure, if Shaun signs, he will relish the chance to return.

"We are always looking to improve and he is another good player.

"We have a good squad as it is now and we know Shaun can play in a number of positions.

"He had a good spell at Celtic the first time, so I'm sure he will do well again."

Last edited:
Aston Villa midfielder Shaun Maloney has rejoined Celtic on a four-year deal worth up to £2.5m.

He passed a medical at Celtic Park on Thursday to seal his return to the Scottish Premier League champions.

Shaun Maloney will be officially unveiled as a Celtic player at a press conference later today at the Training Centre in Lennoxtown.

Last edited:
heard celtic only paid 1m but a few reports today said 1m but could rise to 2.5m

Back