Making my mind up time

logicearl

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ok, I've looked and I've listened to umpteen ng's about this and that concerning getting all sorts of channels. Now has come the time to ask a few questions.

At the moment I have a TM6900HD reciever hooked up to a 90cm motorised dish, which I've had for a couple of years. I now need another reciever to add to my collection (another room - upstairs), but cannot make my mind up which one to get. I have narrowed it down to basically two, the spiderbox 9000hd and the Vu+ Duo.

From what I've read, the spiderbox is vfm, but at the same time, a bit on the glitchy side. As in, dropping connection(s) from time to time. Now I may be wrong, but it would seem there isn't much wrong with the box, hardware wise, but more down to how it connects, and to what. Maybe oversubscribed servers.

As for the Vu+ Duo, I'm not that well clued up with this one, as unlike the spiderbox, this one is a "linux" based alternative.

I understand the spiderbox is aimed mainly at people like, those that maybe don't want to get their hands dirty, mucking arround with them, again unlike the Vu+ Duo.

What I want to know is, are these linux based boxes more reliable than the non linux based boxes such as the Spiderbox?, or is it just down to the reliability/unreliability of cs and which servers it hooks up to.

Personally I am not averse to "getting my hands dirty", so how easy are these Vu+Duo's to set up? I take it if I do go down the cs route, its pretty much the same regardless of which box you use?

Also, what other alternatives are there than cs'ing, in order to get similer channels?

There is also the VU+ solo to consider, as it is cheaper than the Duo which is the full monty whistling deluxe all bells twin tuner. But then you can get the original dreambox dm500hd for less too, although that is also single tuner like the VU+ solo.

Reliabilty isnt 'more or less' on closed or open source receivers. It depends on the available software used I suppose. A spiderbox is example of a closed source software, so you only have the choice of 1 image and the 1 official team that develop. This is the same as your tm6900 too. A VU+ is open source so it has support from many teams and over time will have various images you can choose to use, depending on what suits you. It also means development comes faster and the team competition constantly forces improvements. Since the images for the VU+ are based on Dreambox images this means support is far more widerange compared with other alternatives. Wider support also makes a receiver more useful for a longer time. Once the spiderbox team decide to sell a new receiver then they can simply stop supplying images for the old box. With open source the images can continue with hobbyist owners developing (if required).

Reliabilty of servers really does make a difference. No point having good hardware running great software if you connect to a duff over-subscribed server.

Both receivers you mention are easy and well supported, so you get lots of help with any problems. The spiderbox is most simple, but the VU+ wont be too difficult since you have some experience with satellite tv.

Its all about price and your preference. The spiderbox does what it needs to do, its simple, very good value, with good development and current support. The VU+ has all those qualities but has open source images, slightly more to learn and obvious higher cost.

Last edited:
I found the Spiderbox to be a brilliant machine, it worked really well and is constantly being patched etc.

Stay away from the Clone Dreambox 800 for the time being and avoid the Technomate 800 too as that is still Work in Progress.

Don't be put off a machine simply because it is a 'Linux Box', they may be a little trickier to get up and running but there are many many members who are very familiar with them and support is never more than a post away.

If I had £400, I'd own a Vu+ Duo, if I wanted plug and play then it has to be the Spiderbox, fantastic value for money, just don't buy it solely for the 'free gift', as that'll probably vanish without trace in a few months.

The solo would have done, but want/need a twin tuner box, so looks like it'll be the Vu+ duo then.

So apart from CS'ing what else is available with these boxes, that'll allow extending what I can view? With the tm6900, that was available via softcam updates. What do these boxes offer thats different?
TIA

So apart from CS'ing what else is available with these boxes, that'll allow extending what I can view?
Nothing more than your tm6900. It has softcam ability, it has card reader, it has cam interface, it has cardshare networking. Its ability to open channels is the same as the rest, nothing unique.

What do these boxes offer thats different?
If you mean different to your tm, then it offers network functions. You can watch tv over your internal network, I believe you can watch files from the receiver which are sent from a pc (not tried myself), you can mount network hard drives, and of course full ability for cardshare -not just technomate limited function. You can also download things using your receiver remote, you dont use a pc you just add stuff directly from the onscreen menu. Like you can run plugins/addons that are written; epg, internet browsing, picons, skins, emails, weather, games, news feeds... not really sure what else, maybe others can comment here as I dont know what is available on these yet?

It is still a satellite receiver that clears channels in the same way as the majority of all modern satellite receivers. It is really the full cardshare & networking functions that makes these receivers popular. They can run any cam, connect to all types of server, flick between different servers, get the latest cam updates on day of release without having to wait for a single korean guy to patch/bodge a cam update weeks later :)

It all sounds very interesting.
I don't suppose there is any specific site that would detail it more, as although I'm well used to computer systems, this sat business has always remainded in the background. So never had the time to get to grips with it from the technical side of it. A lot of what you say does make sense, and some of it does carry over from computing, such as network shares etc.

It would seem, the best thing to do, is to jump in at the deep end, and learn that way. A bit of a learning curve, but non the less shouldn't prove too difficult.

So from what you say, there are literally hundereds of addons, that can be downloaded and installed, to add more functionality. So I suppose then that these so called "images" are what might be described as the receivers operating system. With updates appearing on a regular basis.

As for CS, (not too sure how far I can take this part) I take it this can be hit and miss, and is never going to be anything other than some times it will work, and other times it wont, depending on the server/client status. Are there rearlly any that are worth considering, by that I mean, are there any, paid for, servers worth considering? Or should it best be kept to a local group.

I was reading, somewhere the other day, (where escapes me), that S*y are trialling ways, apparently sucessfully, on ways to curb this cs'ing on their systems, which sort of leaves me thinking that cs, per say, isn't going to be arround for much longer, in its present format, as a way to have access. But then thats the way its always been I suppose.

Much to learn, and too many questions, lol.

I wouldnt say there are hundreds of addons, although for the dreambox there are dozens since they have been developed for longer. VU+ are newer so will take time for more to be developed, but yes you have the correct idea -the image is the operating system and plugins are additional software added.

Cardshare works fine, its not really hit & miss. There are vast amounts of stable servers but yes the small private groups have less chance of being oversubscribed. The big servers you find in google will have more channel access than small groups, and are often outside the uk so more chance of survival.

Yes for sure cardshare has become a major problem for all satellite providers so they are likely to fight back and attempt to put a stop to it. TV piracy has been a problem for a couple of decades so yep its just how its always been.

So providing you can sub to one of these "better" servers, and you have a good connection, then you shouldn't expect too many issues, such as freezing etc?

Having a fixed ip address, then thats good. The major issue I can see is security, especially if you are acting as a server/client, hmmm. Not a problem if you know how to protect yourself.

So cs'ing is the major way of getting extra channels then.

Any that can be recommended?

Back