Make copy of Windows XP install

Bk456

Inactive User
Reaction score
I need to make an exact copy of the windows xp I have installed on my laptop as want to partition drive and install windows 7 separate to xp.

I need to copy xp as have important apps I don’t have access to anymore.

I want to make a dvd bootable disk for this. What are my options??

Best regards

Image the drive and make bootable media if required. Some tools might allow partition resize on restore but if not use a partition manager.

Maybe more complicated but image the drive for a virtual machine and run XP on the VM in Win7.

Booting your OS off a DVD is not practical as OS's need to write stuff.

You could try a dual boot of XP/7 but you risk messing up your XP installation if this fails.

A better option might be to virtualize (P to V) your old XP environment and run it within VMware/Hyper-V whilst you migrate applications to your main OS. assuming your laptop can handle that.

Failing that your in for a challenge, given it's a laptop so your limited to one drive. Maybe 2 drives and swap over as needed?

Booting your OS off a DVD is not practical as OS's need to write stuff.

You could try a dual boot of XP/7 but you risk messing up your XP installation if this fails.

A better option might be to virtualize (P to V) your old XP environment and run it within VMware/Hyper-V whilst you migrate applications to your main OS. assuming your laptop can handle that.

Failing that your in for a challenge, given it's a laptop so your limited to one drive. Maybe 2 drives and swap over as needed?

I see we went down a similar path...

@Bk456 will nate to take care to make some backups.

I've never had success migrating an Acronis image to new hardware although it does claim to do it. I didn't really look into it too hard but the 2014 versions onward, I think, had the virtualisation tool.

Im not trying to boot the OS from dvd. I want to have a dual boot system, i know how to partition the hard drive and install windows 7, but I'm unsure how to make a copy of my current windows xp OS and install to new system and if its possible the whole thing could go tits up...

But will do it on a different hard drive to be sure...and yes thats not a bad idea just to use two hard drives but will try to get it with dual boot method first...

This links appears to describe how to backup files and settings but I want a full image of my OS so I can reinstall on a new hard drive. How do I do this???

Acronis software will do this , you can clone your drive , but you will have to have a external hard drive connected to your laptop

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

macrium reflect should do it for you

never new about macrium reflect @alimac looks good and a free :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Back