MAC address with MAG boxes and smartIPTV

Grimeire

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
im just curious as to why your mac address is needing when setting up MAG boxes and the smartIPTV app with providers.
mac addresses are layer too so the provider should have any access to it.

Every device has its own individual mac code and that is required to enable connection between device and server

i know that what im saying is that a MAC address is layer 2 so they do not go outside your network.

they are only used to locally so why would they be needed for mag boxes and smartIPTV?

Think I read somewhere that it's got something to do with ARP (address resolution protocol)

Again ARP is a layer 2 protocol and it doesn't leave your local network.

to clarify the question more.
MAC addresses are not specifically able to leave your local network as all protocols that use/require them dont leave the local network. So either the mag box sends the Mac intentionally or there is some other way that i don't know about that the provider finds the mac address.

Last edited:
Some how it does though as with say Smart IPTV you registrar it using the TV mac address so it must be seen somehow, perhaps the software deliberately transmits it

ARP is a layer 2 protocol that carries layer 3 information. It's more like layer 2.5
Remember, the OSI model is a guideline for protocol design, not an exact science.

Back