Low internet speed

cracker

Inactive User
Reaction score
I am On Virgins broad band , and supposed to get 10 meg Broad band, but when I do these speed test i only get 1.5Mb max

I have contacted ****** and they have told me that its my Wireless router.
I Phoned them and they say its my Broadband.

I have checked the wireless router setting and they seem fine.
any ideas

wifi can be pretty slow and unreliable sometimes, so yeah it could be your wireless router.

Unfairly, you could connect it via a cable and see if this is better - it probably will be. But I hear that you ISP is pretty slow anyway in general..

As a rule of thumb divide your wireless connection speed and divide it by 4.5 and that will give you a max possible throughput on your wireless connection.

To test your wireless find a large file on another PC and transfer it across the wireless network and time it. That will let you know how good your wireless connection is:)

that rule of thumb isnt so good for wlan connections.

There are actually a whole bunch of tools out on the internet that test throughput between end points, this would give you a good indication of your wlan speed. But, dont forget wlan's are not always running at the same speed.

The first thing you need to do is connect to your router with a cable and see how fast this speeds things up. If it is a lot, you have a problem on your wlan, if its not much then its probably an issue with your ISP...

I have been fighting with them about a year i have 20meg been telling them my router cant take 20, 4 weeks ago i was told your right and they sent me a new one getting about 10 now wireless and a little more plugged in.They are capping speeds for high users you need to phone and ask them if u are

Back