Looking to get a freesat box...

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a freesat box and replace my old sky box, by the looks of it you can get pretty much all the free sky channels on freesat too with the addition of BBC and ITV HD is that correct?

Also is it just the case of connecting my sky feed to the box and manually tuning the free channels in the stickie posted by rat or can you just do a auto tune and it will pick everything up?

Im not sure which box to go for any suggestions? Dont want to spend too much yet but if I like how freesat works then I might get hold of octo lnb and put a few boxes around the house.

Any info would be appreciated :Cheers:

best box is the Humax Foxsat
this has 2 scan features freesat scan and manual scan that picks up all free channels

with the alba family of box's they can get all other manual channels but these have to be input manually by user :thumbdown:

£135.49 at dixons 10% Off 10DIGI

Thanks think I will pop down to dixons today and get one and see what its like.

did you get a box bally ?

No got really busy and never got round to buying one, but I saw your thread in bargain section and doing a store collect today from comet... As I only have one sky connection at the moment and the TV there isnt HD im looking to get a octo lnb and runs some cables around the house.

get the humax foxsat HD box m8, you wont be dissapointed

Thats what I have reserved, need to go and collect then test it out... For now it might just replace my old sky box downstairs which is only FTA but when I can get a sat signal in my room then will hook up using HDMI! Cant wait!

Just collected and initial impressions are good but now, what do I need to know about manual tuning etc? Is there a way to hide all the scrambled channels? Is there no sky news available? Also whats all this iv been reading about channels in the clear? What does that mean?

Just collected and initial impressions are good but now, what do I need to know about manual tuning etc? Is there a way to hide all the scrambled channels? Is there no sky news available? Also whats all this iv been reading about channels in the clear? What does that mean?

Channel list Here m8

And some more info Here,Rats work..

Last edited by a moderator:
do a freesat scan first m8 by entering a postcode,if you in Scotland or Ireland enter a different postcode to get ITVHD
this will put all freesat channels in order and epg will be done

once freesat scan is done
go into menu,setup,manual tune
if all you want is the extra free to air stuff just search if you want to see if any subbed channels are broadcasting fta at present then change to All,you will see it all in the setup screen :)

I'm seriously thinking about buying a freesat box too. Im definitly going to get a Humax HD box but I want one with a HDD so that I can record channels. Do they exist yet? Also, my appartment complex has a communal sky dish but in my appartment, the face plate for the areal is pretty old. Do I have to get a engineer round to connect me to the communal dish? I was going to run freesat through it.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a freesat box too. Im definitly going to get a Humax HD box but I want one with a HDD so that I can record channels. Do they exist yet? Also, my appartment complex has a communal sky dish but in my appartment, the face plate for the areal is pretty old. Do I have to get a engineer round to connect me to the communal dish? I was going to run freesat through it.

can you not renew the faceplate as wiring should be there I know my mam just had to connect her freesat to the sat part of the plate on a communal dish and all systems are go. No engineers required

can you not renew the faceplate as wiring should be there I know my mam just had to connect her freesat to the sat part of the plate on a communal dish and all systems are go. No engineers required

Im not sure if that would work as I don't know anything about wiring. Currently, there is only a antenna plug and a radio plug on the faceplate (You get how old that is!). It is a given that I will have to update the faceplate to a new one but the wiring behind it is the question...does the communal sat signal run through my regular wiring so that all I have to do is update the face plate? I guess I could take a photo of it...

also About the freesat HD HDD box...does it exist?

a humax twin tuner HD PVR with 320G HDD is due out any time now, i taw one in action at a trade show on tuesday night, and these things aere going to fly off the shelves

if your faceplate ontl has tv/radio than i doubt very much that changing it for a tv/radio/sat plate will work m8, as theres probably not a communal dish on the system (depending on size of block, will more than quadrupule the installation cost) so might be worth getting written permission off the building owner / management company to say youre allowed to have a dish put up, will make things easier

theres probably not a communal dish on the system (depending on size of block, will more than quadrupule the installation cost) so might be worth getting written permission off the building owner / management company to say youre allowed to have a dish put up, will make things easier

thanks digidude. Sky keep sending me leaflets throught the post saying "I see you have a communal dish in your apartment...sign up for a low cost of a billion pounds etc.". I had heard through the grapevine there is a communal dish too...I just don't think I'm wired into it. Going to have to fork out for a freesat engineer I guess to hook me up to it.
BTW good news on the freesat HD PVR box. I'm just going to wait for that to come out.

Back