Looking for advice

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
in the house i mainly work of 2 computers, a laptop connected to the telly and printer, then also in another room, a PC with DVD writers, USB hard drives and scanner connected, they are not networked together as ive never managed to get it working, the one time i did, i somehow managed to screw everything up by adding an xbox

ideally, id like to access the printer from both, the scanner from both, and if possible, one of the hard drives from both, and have found this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TP-LINK-USB-S...K_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item439f9daa06

would this be what i need, or is it not needed if i could manage to network the 2 computers together

tia

dd

Last edited:
I noticed there was no Windows 7 driver for that device. Plus you will have to check the compatibility list to see if your printer and scanner is supported.

Other options could be to network the two and share the printer and hard drive though your PC will have to be on to support that. Not sure about the scanner, depends what type it is, some of them can be shared though I am wondering why you want to share it as you will need to stand next to it to put the page you want to scan in there anyway.

Do you not have a wireless router, not sure why networking is not working for you but I am sure we can fix it between us on the board.

Cant you just share it all via your wireless network , only limitation to this is having to leave the computer with the scanner,printer and drive need to be left on when you require to share them.

need a bit more info bud, which os`s do you have, i`m presuming wireless router, but let us no the basic setup of your network then we can go from there, but there should be no need to buy any other equipment to get it going........

underwindows 7 i can scan documents wirelessy from my epson wireless printer no problems using windows fax and scan, works a treat, not tried to do anything big though ;)

Would go along with hat monkety says. Let us know OS's and the printer scanner detail and we will be able to get you to where you want to be. From what your saying though I would'nt imagine that it will be difficult to sort it for you.

the laptop is on windows vista, and i hate it, lol, the PC is on XP black edition.

The main printer is connected to the laptop, and is an epson R320, the scanner is an epson SX100 and just gets connected to the PC when needed, it has a one touch scan type thingy on it, press a button, and it does everything itself

the router is wireless, but everything is wired, wireless is only on on weekends when the kids bring their laptops up

If everything is wired then I don't know why your network is not work, odd.

Guess we need to try and help you sort it as as oneman says all is wired and therefor your problem is indeed odd.

To complete the picture:

1. What router do you have?

2. What firewall are you using?

Also note to share any drive, printer & scanner you normally need to set these as shared devices so that they can be seen on the network.

the router is one of skys own branded thingys, the only firewall i have is the routers built in one

Are you sure you have no software firewall going, even the microsft one?

Ok see if you can log into it by the wired connection.

In IE? type the address below - (which version are you using by the way?)

http://192.168.0.1

You will be prompted for a username and password (they are admin - sky)

What is the name of the router, is it a Netgera DG834GT or other?

Last edited:
Dude if they are all wired to the sky router then run windows network wizard but change the workgroup on each machine to sheep, this will refresh everything.

Then right click a folder and make sure something is shared. There's no reason why these machines can't see each other other than your drunk....... ;)

Oh and are we all stoppin at your gaff this year ? Just Pinky's lass want rid of him again ;)

i can access the router no problems, its just ive never been able to map the computers to each other

@ dutcho, yeh i should have the back garden sorted within the next month, bring small tents lol, or, jimmyp got a caravan not too far away (about 40 mins) we could hijack that lol

idealy wat you would want say is, printer / scanner and hdds pluged into desktop machine, have them all shared on the network.

i think yuo may find though that XP Black is a likley culprit for causing problems, i had no end of trouble with some machines a while back trying to share files / folders , i never did find the exact problem except that as soon as i took xp black out of the equation and went back to a stock OS things worked as they should do.

hope this helps ;)

p.s. get 7 on them all.

dont know if you got your network sorted........most scanners unless network enabled ie an ip scanner are notoriusly difficult to share.

If you have a scsi / parallel / usb scanner then this little bit of redirection software sorts it all out.

Inculded software + client + server pdf's info (server is term for machine with scanner connected only not a MS server)

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Back