Looking for a new hard drive....

Erazor786

Inactive User
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my current storage. Been looking at the options available. Can't decide between Hitachi Deskstar and Samsung Spinpoints. Heard pro's and con's for both of them but haven't found any decent reviews comprehensively comparing both drives to make a decision.

Any input would be much appreciated. Looking to go for the Terabyte versions of both.

TIA

I would go with the Spinpoint m8. They're quiet and reliable.

I've never had one go wrong on me.

Never used Hitachi, though my mate swears by their 2.5" Travelstar range.

I've recently put a 2TB SpinPoint F4EG (5200RPM) in my main rig. Despite the fact that the maximum disk-to-buffer speed is twice as quick as the 1TB SpinPoint F1 drives that it replaced, and the seek time is supposed to be the same, the drive is noticiably slower when multiple programs are accessing it (e.g. GrabIt, Itunes, Winrar).

As such go for a 7200RPM (i.e. non-EcoGreen) version if you intend to use as a boot drive.

I would go with the Spinpoint m8. They're quiet and reliable.

I've never had one go wrong on me.

Never used Hitachi, though my mate swears by their 2.5" Travelstar range.

I've recently put a 2TB SpinPoint F4EG (5200RPM) in my main rig. Despite the fact that the maximum disk-to-buffer speed is twice as quick as the 1TB SpinPoint F1 drives that it replaced, and the seek time is supposed to be the same, the drive is noticiably slower when multiple programs are accessing it (e.g. GrabIt, Itunes, Winrar).

As such go for a 7200RPM (i.e. non-EcoGreen) version if you intend to use as a boot drive.

The Spinpoints do seem the better drives according to most people. However, I have been told that the Deskstar are supposedly very solid drives and are the better of the 2.

Are there any reviews out there comparing the 2 drives that I can have a look at before I make the decision?

Back