Longest tennis match ever (final set 59-59 ) play suspended lol

jaffa

Inactive User
Reaction score
The Wimbledon 2010 first round match between Nicolas Mahut and John Isner today at wimbeldon, currently at 4-6, 6-3, 7-6, 6-7, 59-59 after over 10hrs. The fifth set, at over 7hrs 5mins, is also the longest set in history.

The final set is also longer than any full tennis match ever.

Both men were cream crackered.

Play suspended for bad light so they have to come back for a 3rd day.

they both don't want to go out in the first round methinks. :)

absolutley brilliant !!!!
i reckon these 2 guys will sort it at the bar tonight lol , they will flip a coin ..
i bet the game dont last 5 mins tomoz !!

I was watching this live on TVCatchup on the laptop, while also watching the Germany game. It was amazing to watch them slug it out serve after serve. Gotta take your hat off to them. Think they were on court 6 hours today wasn't it? (10 hours in total for the match.)

The tall Yank could bearly move he was that knackered, but he was the one who wanted to carry on, where as the French lad looked fresh as a daisy in comparison, but he wanted to call it a day!

T'was a great watch though.

Any clue as to what time the game resumes tomorrow? I had to leave at 55-55. Was a cracking match, I tuned in at 44-44

They think it’s all over…it is now!

John Isner wins 70 - 68 final set:Clap:

It was the tennis match that had whole world talking and made heroes of, Frenchman Nicolas Mahut and American John Isner.

And despite British No.1 Andy Murray playing earlier in the afternoon in front of the Queen court 18 was the hottest ticket in SW19 this afternoon as the epic war of attrition marathon that began two days ago and was halted last night after 10 hours play in total finally came to an end.

Like a grass court drama scripted by Samuel Beckett, the first-round clash actually began on Tuesday evening, but was stopped after two hours 54 minutes at two sets all because of the light at 6-4, 3-6, 6-7, 7-6 59-59.

The players resumed play on Court 18 yesterday but a further gruelling seven hours play still couldn’t provide a winner.

The previous record for the longest game at Wimnbledon was six hours 33 minutes was set when Fabrice Santoro beat Arnaud Clement at the French Open in 2004.

Yesterday Andy Murray tweeted: "This is why tennis is one of the toughest sports in the world, this will never ever be matched again." Reigning champion Roger Federer alos hailet he players incredible achievement.

Play resumed this afternoon on court 18 for day three of this titanic struggle afternoon with the match tied in the fifth set at an incredible 59 games all."I can't go on, I must go on" wrote Beckett. Mahut and Isner knew only too well what he meant.

With John Mcenre and Tracy Austin watching in the crowd it was Isner who had served secod throughout the match but first in the fifth set, who got the match started, serving a double fault. At deuce he then aced to become the first player ever to hit 100 aces in match and took the match to lead 60-59. Then just as if watching a re-run of yesterday it was 60 all, then 61-60.

Mahut served out the 121st game to level at 61-61. As both men watched nad wiated for the other to crack. Isner then lead 30-15; 40-15 (103 aces now) and it was 62-61 Isner. mahut then reached 100 aces at 40-0 in netx game as we reached 62-62.

Then it was 63-62, 63-63, 64-63, 64(10 and half hours elapsed now), 65-64, 65-65 to make it six game all on the day with neither man looking likely to crumble. Then at 69-68 Isner had match point at 30-40 just as you thought the match would never end it was over 70-68..

Incredible as it may seem Isner will be back on court tomorrow to do battle. But as both players exited Court 18 today to a standing ovation they knew had been crowned winners by fans and fellow pros alike, and their names written in bold print in the annals of tennis history.

Last edited:
Back