Loft Conversions for Council Tenants?

Gunner786

Inactive User
Reaction score
Anyone know what the crack is with this?

Can a tenant get help with the costs from the council or do they bear the full cost of it?
Getting abit tight as it is and would rather convert the loft than move,
I think iti would only mean a few quid on top of the rent im currently paying anyway

Anyone know what the crack is with this?

Can a tenant get help with the costs from the council or do they bear the full cost of it?
Getting abit tight as it is and would rather convert the loft than move,
I think iti would only mean a few quid on top of the rent im currently paying anyway

Mate, you cannot do a loft conversion on a council house!! it does not belong to you, also you have to get planning and they willnot give you that, and they will not pay to do 1 as well.
The only thing you can do is move, or buy the council house then do the loft conversion, but again you will not get any help with costs

MB

hi m8,

if you have over crowding issues then the council are bound to help you , but only if you have different children(sex) over the age of 8 living in the same room....and children over the age of 13 (same sex) living in the same room,
depending on where you live there are certain types of help here in wolvo there is some thing called the Nevile Garrat Centre who specificaly help with dissabled families and they will do all alterations free of cost but then you have to stay in that property for a minimum of 3 years or if you move then you have to pay for the works that were done,

look if you don't enquire you dont know!!

hope this has helped bud?

bretttina

Last edited:
ive the local planning a call. they will give you all the advise you need over the phone or a face to face with the local housing officer. if you need written consent he will tell you what to do and who the plans go to. i dont think the local authority would knock you back so long as you done the loft to code and put in th relevant safety that they ask for now. fire break wall and door. it also depends on the size of loft too, planning is not always required for 'flooring a loft space' its only when it becomes a room then you need permission. again talk to your local housing officer, its free and usually they are helpful.

my father and i have done loads of lofts in recent years. recently legislation changed about safety and fire breaks etc. we stopped doing them as people wanted to bypass code and 'floor a loft space'. the repercussions of this would eventually fall on us as builders because planning and safety were bypassed.

Extract from my council website regarding loft conversations,
COUNCIL HOUSES (and former council houses)
Whether or not you need Planning Permission and
Building Regulations approval, you will need permission
from the Housing Services Manager if you live in a
council property or the Property Services Manager for
a former council dwelling

As somebody else pointed out if you different sex children age 8 or over, or same sex kids 13 or over sharing a room then guidelines are the council will attempt to rehouse you to a large location. Of couse most likely there will a waiting list as larger properties are in shorter supply.

Last edited:
after working for the council for 15 years, in different rolls, and 1 of them was a manager, i can tell you now that you cannot do a loft conversion on a council owned home!
If you want to change the kitchen you have to ask and then sign a form to say you will be responcible for the kitchen, and if you move you will put it back to how it was...etc etc.

Also as for having kids that its different sex staying in same rooms etc, yes you are entitled to a move but getting 1 is not easy as there are not enough council homes about now.

Best to look at the transfer list, someone might want a swap to a smaller home etc.

If you really think that you want to go for the Loft convert, then first ask if its possible, and if they say no then ask them to put it in writing to you, giving you why they will not let you do it.
Then submit a planning app to the local council, and if it gets the thumbs up, get to your counciler's office and have a chat with him/her, explain that the council cannot move you but you need more space, you have planning for a loft convert and you are willing to pay for it, but the council will not let you because "show letter"
Explain that you dont want to move away and even if you did the council cannot help, and see what the MP can do for you, there is ways round things when you fight, if you did get the go ahead you might only be able to use the council own contracters, if thats so then ask the to pay a % towards it.

But they are all big if's!!
I have seen some things go though because MP's got involved, but never a loft convert, seen a ground floor extension go through, but because of disability, and person did not want to move and council paid for it.

Let us know how you get on.

MB

I know its slightly off topic a bit but last year I was doing loft conversion's for the council in Kilburn, London, we were converting 1 bed upstairs flats in too two bed flats with a dormer on the back as well.

Hando

I know its slightly off topic a bit but last year I was doing loft conversion's for the council in Kilburn, London, we were converting 1 bed upstairs flats in too two bed flats with a dormer on the back as well.

Hando

when you do a dormer in a loft it becomes another story, its no longer a loft conversion it is then regarded as an extra floor. so a one story house becomes a two story, two becomes three. etc.

when you do a dormer in a loft it becomes another story, its no longer a loft conversion it is then regarded as an extra floor. so a one story house becomes a two story, two becomes three. etc.

Odd, when I puts plans in for my conversion (not council property), it included a full length rear facing dormer and it was still considered a loft conversion.

when completed its an extra room. you shoulsd have a completion certiface in your deeds to say its an extra room and not an attic room. speak to your architect m8. its technically a loft conversion, but the point i was making was that its no longer a loft space converted to a living space. its a loft conversion to an extra floor and room(s). sorry if iwasnt clear.

Off topic but we recently had a extension built. We got quotes for loft conversion/dormer (1 extra bedroom, with stairs leading upto therefore reducing the size of the master bedroom) and a 2 storey build onto the side of the house (1 x dining room & 1 x Bedroom - slap through).

The two storey build on the side of the house was the cheapest option :) Done and dusted in 8 weeks!

I had my Loft converted, with a full dormer on the rear, it has its own bathroom etc, did it under part P of the planning as i was knocking down the garage in garden, so did not have to have plans but my mate did them, i removed the box room for the stairs etc.

when i called my local council to come and sign it off, the guy said no need as its under part P so will send you a letter, and if no one complains after 3 years its all clear, they did check it out whike the work was going on etc, and sent letters to neighbours to make sure they was ok with it. total cost was £20k
Have planning for a 2 story ext on rear single 1 side, and have been quoted £25k, but thats new kitchen etc.
But dont have the money now :(

there is also another way, the way people do it sneaky. do your loft stairs and velux etc, then tell the council after you have had it done. then when they come to inspect tell them its been done for years. then you apply for a letter of comfort as its been done for so long. again this avoids recent regulations where fire breaks etc as you done it before these regulations were in place.

there is also another way, the way people do it sneaky. do your loft stairs and velux etc, then tell the council after you have had it done. then when they come to inspect tell them its been done for years. then you apply for a letter of comfort as its been done for so long. again this avoids recent regulations where fire breaks etc as you done it before these regulations were in place.

and as its a council house, they remove the conversion, and charge you what the total cost was!

and the letter you do get if its not a council house is a letter saying it can stay if no one complains in the next 3 years!
also what if a neighbour complains when your doing it? or even ask your neighbours about when it was done?
could cost alot of money!

Back