Loft aerial and splitter

cactikid

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
i have had a Triax aerial and a wolsey amp in loft and not really worked as it was used for the older service now gone and want to setup afresh.
I am very close to a transmitter but sometimes i get no signal on rte1hd where rte2hd works but using rabbits ears.
Have the newer aerials advanced much as thinking maybe mine is now not right for saorview?
Might also need a splitter to allow multiroom for a number of tvs and saorview boxes.

Digital tv requires a certain signal level (threshold) before the tuner locks, usually above 6db, a good tuner will be less than this. The tuner is built in to the tv or set top box, so it is worth doing your homework and finding the tuner type used in the equipment before you buy. Changing the receiver might help.
The old analogue signal would deliver a picture (even if it was bad one) with less signal.
The newer aerials have advanced to combat the problems that have been created by giving part of this broadcast spectrum to 4G, also they are better designed and manufactured.
You don't give your location. Check for your nearest transmitter at Saorview | Coverage Checker. This will tell you the frequency, polarisation and direction to the nearest transmitter.
Going from the top down, normally, you will need a full band or band C/D, directional aerial, vertically polarised (this means that the elements i.e. bars or Xs in the aerial will be up/down) look for one with high gain.
The flat panel digital aerials are low gain and not very directional, don't know the model number of your Triax but last time I looked they were low to medium gain.
Connect it to a masthead amplifier. Then join it to your aerial feed cable with a good combiner/ splitter like the Antiference 75 series.
Where the feed cable joins the rest of the house, add the power supply for the masthead amp and an in-line LTE filter to combat 4G interference, but better to get aerials (one for vertical and one for horizontal) with the filter built in (fewer connections) and you can do without this, if the Triax is old, it won't have this.
Then you can add your distribution amp or splitter.
The masthead amp is better than an amp in the loft or near the set, as having the amp any distance from the aerial will amplify interference picked up in the cable and connections, you need to amplify the signal not the noise.
Try to connect cables and boxes with as few connections as possible, each connection can lose 3db of signal (the signal strength is halved), even if this means losing the convenience of a wall plate connector for your set top box and having the aerial cable long enough to pass through a hole in a blanking plate on the wall (old style) into your receiver.

Nearest transmitter is 3 rock and found a new amp

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looking at his aerials green tip for my location but will recheck again before ordering.

I had a feeling things were changing when my 3" aerial was also having issue.

I have plenty of dangle cables through walls.

Aerial and amp are both in the loft and i have power up there also.
many thanks.

If you can get your aerial outside on a chimney or wall lashing it will help.

Hmm that would need an installer to fit it as was hoping been very close to mast a loft one would do

Pole mount on a side wall is easiest, if you don't want to get on the roof. The bonus is that the building can shield it from some unwanted signals. If you're unsure about working at heights a professional installer is the right way to go. You can still supply the materials and equipment so you don't have their addon.

Back of the house faces the direction of aerial on 3 rock ,i dont imagine trees in next doors garden would have an effect about 50 feet away but getting taller.Hmm unwanted signals like what as i might need to start writing down these added ones.Thinking the better aerial is also shielded.

He shows green tip for me.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
All the radio clutter from telephone masts, generators, radio broadcasts from ships and planes, even passing motorcycles etc. all add to the noise degrading the signal. Digital signals have error correction that helps them overcome this but I still stick to best practice for the old analogue signal.

Wow some big things in there and might be pricey,Dave has the labgear at a good price much cheaper than the last one i got but no green tip aerial at the moment and closed until jan 2nd

Cheers at least i now know whats going on many thanks and good night.

Trees will have a degrading effect especially after rain or covered in snow. Since it rains 2 days out of 3, make sure your aerial can see over the top.

Must have a word with the neighbour as his big trees are too big next to a wall and blocking my signal,i also had my sat bb stopped due to trees,someone lied when they said copper nails will kill a tree hahaha,10 or more years ago i drilled 4 x 1/2 holes in tree and hammered in copper pipe and that tree is not dead yet.
The aerial would/could point up to the sky above but not sure how much above the mast as i cannot see the mountains.

Ok i dropped over to a local sat shop to have a chat to them strange as how the rte1 hd signal has been lowered and he has been fitting amplifiers to overcome this issue.Wolsey amp is useless as its for analogue and to remove it and fit this with my triax aerial along with this.
75 Series Masthead Amplifiers - Antiference

Have the newer aerials advanced much as thinking maybe mine is now not right for saorview?
Might also need a splitter to allow multiroom for a number of tvs and saorview boxes.
I have 3 Saorview directional/multielement (!) antenna UNDER my roof, 1 receiving signal from ~10miles and another ~20 miles masts (Woodcock and Knockanore). On the closer one I had tested old (20 years?), simple splitter and both receivers was working ok. So just try, it's not deadly expensive.

It was only a small outlay in replacing 1 unit and giving me more options for more working feeds.

Ended up getting sat installer out to install 80 cm dish 2 quad lnbs and outdoor saorview aerial and later found out my aerial cable was crap when tested with the meter and was only about 4 years old Ha Ha,so removal of internal plug in aerials no longer needed.
As with many things quality of cable matters and now to find out whose cable it was.

Back