loading additional tom tom maps

Nelly

Member ++
Reaction score
hi all,
I have tom tom 6 working fine on an Acer N35 with uk maps, i have now got the usa dvd as i have to go over there in the near future, i start to load the maps using tom tom home on to a clean sd card with 1.4gb space but the install hangs around half way with no error messages, i have the latest activ-sync and latest tomtom home, with v5 you could load just parts of usa now it looks like i need to load the whole of usa, please help with any ideas

Are the U.S. maps version 5 or 6? from reading other posts I dont believe that you can mix v5 and v6.

Hi there,
the new maps are v6, but it now comes all as 1 file.

when i used the v5 you could select just parts of usa and install smaller amounts, i dont know if this is the problem as when you insert a smaller card in to the unit the tomtom home software tells you there is not enough space but with the 1.4gb card there is no warning and it starts to install untill half way then hangs?

Loading large files via active sync is usually painful. Cant you simply transfer the actual maps directly onto the SD card using a card reader ?

What I would do is to take a clean SD card and copy all the folders/files from your existing SD card (using card reader) onto your PC hard drive and then copy and paste all of these onto your new clean SD card. Delete the UK maps and replace with the US ones.

Sorted

Thanks for the info,
The chance to install to SD card via a reader cant be done as the activ-sync converts the files to be readable by the pda also the files are extracted/ decrypted by Tomtom home as you install, but thanks anyway.

The files i need are on the link provided a big thank you, although it would have been nice to install all.

The chance to install only the parts you need does mean i can have citys i visit on one card as opposed to lots of cards with complete countries, thanks.:eater:

Last edited:
Hi mate I use a PDA with windows mobile and transfer files using the card reader all the time it does not seem to have any effect on the files, just get a spare card or backup your card and give it a go it's well worth doing as it is a lot faster to do the data transfer

Back