Linux linux on desktop pc

cactikid

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
i have an old tower pc with xp professional that is old and slow and now has booting issues and if i get it back working i know it cant be upgraded to windows 7. Heard about linux and wondered could i use it on the basics like forums,facebook and playing music as i have a sound blaster sound card for a 5-1 surround.

for the last month i noticed i could not even play you tube video,so wondering what your thoughts are
cheers.

Should be fine, try ubuntu or linux mint pretty novice user friendly, but their are plenty of other version to try.

i have an old tower pc with xp professional that is old and slow and now has booting issues and if i get it back working i know it cant be upgraded to windows 7. Heard about linux and wondered could i use it on the basics like forums,facebook and playing music as i have a sound blaster sound card for a 5-1 surround.

for the last month i noticed i could not even play you tube video,so wondering what your thoughts are
cheers.

Search for "Live Linux" I can't remember the current ones but they are bootable versions which might be of interest to you.

You can use Mint on a Linux Live CD .

Just set boot from CD in the bios see if you like it then you could install the version to HDD.

wow so many answers was not expecting so many,cheers

curious if it can be put onto the desktop which had xp but crashed and looks like the hdd is goosed,i have another which ran xp boot which gets it up and running but loads of stuff missing including network drivers?

curious if it can be put onto the desktop which had xp but crashed and looks like the hdd is goosed,i have another which ran xp boot which gets it up and running but loads of stuff missing including network drivers?
You can either run it from a Live CD or install it to the HDD ,Live CD will run slower though m8

Sent from my UMIDIGI Z using Tapatalk

so an install would add everything to get back online?

so an install would add everything to get back online?

Only way to tell is to try it, there might be some missing drivers but that depends on how popular the hardware was.

You might need to set networking up in any case.

that bloody pc is cursed:mad: cant burn dvd and cd aint large enough and usb does not work.

I've never tried moving a Linux install from one machine to another, can you get it to rebuild its HAL? Even Win98 could do that!

Back