Routers Linksys WRT54G

satp55

Member ++
Reaction score
Hello Experts,
I have a rather unusual problem. the router I am using atm, to write this message is the above mentioned one. It seems to work ok, since I am connected to the internet and am writing this post. But i just can't get into the web page of the router to make changes. Type in 192.168.1.1, the router's default web page address, nothing happens. meaning I get the error "Connection timed out". Can anyone help out here, please? It is running dd-wrt, by the way.
Thanks in advance.

Hello Experts,
I have a rather unusual problem. the router I am using atm, to write this message is the above mentioned one. It seems to work ok, since I am connected to the internet and am writing this post. But i just can't get into the web page of the router to make changes. Type in 192.168.1.1, the router's default web page address, nothing happens. meaning I get the error "Connection timed out". Can anyone help out here, please? It is running dd-wrt, by the way.
Thanks in advance.
Is it possable that the web interface address is 192.168.0.1 ?

If you have the usual home network setup try the following.

Open a command prompt ([Win] > cmd) and type ipconfig and then hit return.

Look at the IP for the Default Gateway of your main network card. This'll usually be your router and you can confirm what that 3rd octet is.

Just to rule out any wifi weirdness, try using an ethernet wired device to connect to that ip in your browser. Try with http://x.x.x.x:8080 on the end as well in case you'd changed the port. Maybe also https instead of http if you still have no luck

Hello Guys,
First off, Thank you for the replies. I connected the router to my VM hub Home network and it just wouldn't connect to the internet. All the light act normal, but I can't connect to the routers web page not now does it connect to the net, wired or wireless. I get an IP address of the router as 194.254.251.4 and subnet mask 255.255.0.0. If I ping that address in cmd, I do get replies without loosing any packets.
It has been such a long time ago that I reflashed this router with dd-wrt firmware and I have forgotten the exact details of that firmware. I thought that if i can reflash it again, then maybe i can use it with vpn. I have tried all the methods mentioned on the net and tutorials, but to no avail. I am hoping that some clever person might have a way i can revive the router again.
Again many thanks in advance.
PS. sorry for the long post. Hope it not confusing.

I have a router that will only let you access the ADMIN once when you first boot up. if you try again you get access but cant do anything. A security thing I think. tay a reboot and then try again.

hello spud1966 and SparkPlug,
thanks for the replies. just to let you know that the default IP addy is 192.168.1.1 for this router, but I just can't access the web page using that addy or any other, for that matter. It's like the web gui has disappeared. ATM it has an IP of 169.254.24.153 and subnet mask 255.255.0.0 which I can ping if I make the pc's TCP\IP details the same as the router, connected by cable. Then the pings will return normal. Looks like the DNS server is kaput and maybe the Nvram is corrupt. Seems like a Jtag job to me, but I haven't done a Jtag on a router before and reading about it seems a daunting task. I just wondered if there was a simpler way of making it alive again, maybe by re-installing the dd-wrt firmware again. But how to do that without the web gui, I don't know. Also the Tfpt and the Linksys upgrade programs don't do anything.
Thanking you guys again for the input.

ATM it has an IP of 169.254.24.153 and subnet mask 255.255.0.0 which I can ping if I make the pc's TCP\IP details the same as the router

Im not sure i understand this properly, Are you giving your pc the same ip address your router? 169.254.24.153? If so then you will get a ping reply from the pc, not your router... if you ping this address
Can you ping the router if you dont change the pc's ip address manually?

How do you know the routers ip address if you cannot access the web interface?

You could be getting false information if your running ipconfig if the pc isnt connected to the router.

You say this is connected to your VM hub?
Have you put the VM hub into modem mode before connecting your router? Also i think once the hub is in modem mode you use the lan socket directly above the cable feed (white coax cable) to get a internet connection to your router...
Then the routers ip becomes 192.168.100.1

Last edited:
Hi Kryton,
Now i know why i was getting a reply for the ping sessions. I use the dos window via cmd, and type ipconfig/all and the resulting info gives me the IP and subnet mask as 169.254.24.153 and 255.255.0.0. Hence i presumed that that was the routers new IP addy. With regards to the PC having the same details, I was following the tutorials on the dd-wrt site. No matter what I use to try to connect to the router, it just doesn't respond. All I get is timed out errors and reset the router, which I must have done about 50 times. Including the 30-30-30 routine,but to no avail. It is funny, when I connect it to my VM hub via an ethernet cable and do a "view wireless networks" command, I can see the router's wireless network but can't connect to it. It is the same if I connect the router to the PC via ethernet cable.
Hope this clears up the problem a bit. Again I am hoping for a way which does not involve Jtaging, but if that has to be the way, then I will give it a try as a last resort.

If it were me I would try and do the following....

Forget about the internet and definitely forget about the VM hub for now. Turn it off completely so its not sticking it's nose in. Don't connect your Linksys to internet either for now.

I'm not familiar with the Linksys but try to find a hard reset pin button thingy and do it over.

Disable any other nics, hardware or software, on the PC apart from your main one.

Set PC to DHCP and reboot. As you aren't connected to internet, temporarily disable firewall/security software. If you aren't getting assigned a proper internal IP on your PC I(none of this 169 business) then I'm pretty sure there's a Network Reset option on Windows 10 buried in settings somewhere.

Obviously make sure your lan ports on both the PC nic and the Linksys are lighting up when connected, even try swapping out your cat cable to be sure.

If you still can't see the router then try static IP setting on PC and try the obivous 192.168.1.2 for PC, 255.255.255.0 subnet, and 192.168.1.1 for both gateway and pri DNS - if not then 192.168.0.2 for PC, 192.168.0.1 for gateway/dns.

If it still doesn't work after that, and if turning off the Linksys and re-connecting your PC back up directly to the VM hub and reseting does work, then personally I would cut my loses and chuck the Linksys for the sake of my sanity.

169.254.24.153 means your computer wasnt able to get a IP address via DHCP

Thanks VictorZ and jfish for that,
sorry for the late reply but i will give it a try and come back

if you can get your hands on a BT hub 5 -a. Guy on Fleabay will J-tag it for 9.99 inc postage

sorry Sparkplug,
I didn't quite understand. first off, why a bt hub 5? can you put vpn on it after Jtaging it? if so, can it be done to a bt hub 4, because i do have a hub 4.

ok VictorZ, i have tried what you said and here are the results from the command window.
1st picture (_110419)shows the results using the auto dhcp settings on the PC (win xp, btw).
2nd picture (_110920)shows the results after setting the static option as mentioned in your post.
any way of re-installing the dd-wrt firmware without going through the web gui of the router?
Thank you once again

Attachments

• 20190619_110419.jpg
    20190619_110419.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20190619_110920.jpg
    20190619_110920.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
It is only the BT Hub 5 rev A that can be J-tagged with the vpn enabled software.

ok VictorZ, i have tried what you said and here are the results from the command window.
1st picture (_110419)shows the results using the auto dhcp settings on the PC (win xp, btw).
2nd picture (_110920)shows the results after setting the static option as mentioned in your post.
any way of re-installing the dd-wrt firmware without going through the web gui of the router?
Thank you once again

The 1st image just shows it wasn't able to grap an address from router under dhcp. That ip is a reserved red herring.

The 2nd image is because you've forced it static so now need to see if you can ping the router from your pc - command line and then ping 192.168.1.1 - and if not then change both out to x.x.0.x and try again after rebooting both.

It's possible you may have turned dhcp off on the router at some point

Back