Limitations of DBOX try something new DVB-C.....

bildar

Inactive User
Reaction score
I am relatively new to this forumn and have followed many of the methods to get cable channel and the best so far is the Dbox2, but now i want to record and play channels like sky+ but this is the limitation of the dbox lack of memory and bandwidth thats why i have now started a new project here are the basics:-

AMD 3200+
1024mb ram
Ati 9200 128mb
plenty of hard drive
TWINHAM DVB-C card (ordered and in the post)
Wireless Router

what i intend to do is use the power of the PC to not just allow me to record and watch different channels but to also multicast the signal to multiple PC's on the network with the possibility to watch different channels, from what i have researched most of this is possible but the information is limited in english and to much of it in german.

the software i currently have prepared to use this is:-

RITZDVB
YANKE (Loads the plugins and autoupdate)
SOFTCAM + AUTOROLL
PROGRAM to put ll the transponders into RITZDVB
VLC 0.7.2 (To broadcast the streams across the network)

This is all i have and i intend to keep everyone posted and i hope this will be of real use to everyone who uses this forum as i wish that it will benifit us all!!!

Please add or ask any knowledgable questions and i will try my best to answer them, i hope to write a tutorial on this in few weeks but if someone has already beaten me please share.

im intrested but rumour has it that the top mods are currently configuring a usb port which will allow you to plug in a external harddisk. or and ipod. to the dox. Also i hear that they are looking into soldering ide ports for hardisk access via box. i think they trying the small laptop type disk for ease of space inside dox. worth keeping an eye out for these modifications when and as they come available though. save us all the hassle of setting up the hardway.

I was thinking of doing something similar with a windoes multimedia setup. But how much do you think it will cost you to build ?

de_deej

as long as you got a pc with 2.8ghz and 1gb ram i would say you can record channels in HIGHER DEFINITION (HDTV thats when they start to broadcast that here) and watch another channel but otherwise 2ghz would be suffice and then the limitation of your hard drive, the dvb-c card to go for on a budget would be the twinhan dvb-c which costs around 60 pounds or a nexus based one which is more premium but hardware based and costs around 140 pounds but as i see this as a project i will just use the budget card for now.

have a look at www.ritzdvb.com ritzdvb is the software to use to pick up all the channels and autoupdate with the help of yankse plugin more of that when i play about with my card when i get it this weekend.

Look at the link to realise the potentional of this idea as you can use vlc to multicast the signal across a network possibly allowing different users to watch different channels, if you have 2 machines use one for recording with epg and the other as a play a kind of server setup just an idea

sounds very interesting..

@Mods,

Can we please have another section on the forum exclusive to "DVB-C Cards"?

Cheers..

Very interesting, tell me, how do you get the digital signal into the PC if not via Dbox? Do certain PCI TV cards let you watch Digital TV with all channels like the Dbox does?

bildar said:
as long as you got a pc with 2.8ghz and 1gb ram i would say you can record channels in HIGHER DEFINITION (HDTV thats when they start to broadcast that here) and watch another channel but otherwise 2ghz would be suffice and then the limitation of your hard drive, the dvb-c card to go for on a budget would be the twinhan dvb-c which costs around 60 pounds or a nexus based one which is more premium but hardware based and costs around 140 pounds but as i see this as a project i will just use the budget card for now.
have a look at www.ritzdvb.com ritzdvb is the software to use to pick up all the channels and autoupdate with the help of yankse plugin more of that when i play about with my card when i get it this weekend.
Look at the link to realise the potentional of this idea as you can use vlc to multicast the signal across a network possibly allowing different users to watch different channels, if you have 2 machines use one for recording with epg and the other as a play a kind of server setup just an idea
hi
i have brought a Technotrend Premium DVB-C 2300 OT
and am trying to get ritzdvb to scan with no joy at all...
ive even made a transponder list for my area and still sod all...
any ideas or guidance would be great....

I am trying to get something like this sorted out too, I am running a WMCE box that is currently connected to my Pace box via a Hauppage PVR 150 PCI card which works very well, Im hoping to find a PCI DVB-C card that is compatible with WMCE but so far not getting any joy in finding out if they are compatible or not :( anybody else know of one that is ?

BTW Valen212 DVB-C cards do not need to be connected to a STB as they have their own Cable tuners built in, but they have to be DVB-C as any old TV card wont do it :D

I have got my card setup just trying to get the channels to descramble in ritz seems to be a bit of a bugger as need to use graphs from home theatre which is not user friendly

Back