Sensible Topic LG smart TV Vs Samsung smart TV.

Grimeire

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Im considering buying a new TV and not sure which to go for. The decision is between a LG and Samsung cuz they have the most app available for their OSs. Was considering a Sony as it's android but they are a expensive considering the only thing they have over the others is android OS.

What's yer opinion on LG and Samsung smart TVs?

What's are the OSs like?

I'll pretty much only be using the TV for netflix, Plex and other Mobdro/terrarium TV like apps if they are available.

Very wise to steer clear of the Sony, I believe Panasonics also run Android if it's of interest.
I cannot comment on the smart features of Samsung vs. LG but I'd say Samsung still has the edge on picture quality.
OR get a decent non-smart set and add a decent Android box?

If you want OLED it's LG all the way.
However I've got a Samsung QLED. Although the picture is not as good as the LG's. It's pretty damn good and 500 quid cheaper!!

I have a sammy and can get apps like plex. Not really tried iptv stuff. I think the OS on the lg's have been criticized as its webos? Not sure why really. I had the chance to setup a sony UHDTV and i prefer the menu style of the sammy.

I've been a bit of a LG whore for the past 13 years or so, love them, currently have a LG Smart in the bedroom, 4k 43" Smart IPTV works well on it, all the apps I have used have been spot on.

When my 50" Plasma LG in living room finally dies it will be replaced with a 55" LG 4k unit.

I've been a bit of a LG whore for the past 13 years or so, love them, currently have a LG Smart in the bedroom, 4k 43" Smart IPTV works well on it, all the apps I have used have been spot on.

When my 50" Plasma LG in living room finally dies it will be replaced with a 55" LG 4k unit.
Erm whores in the bedroom🤔erm moving swiftly over to the Adult room for more details.😉👍

I used to be a panansonic fan then samsung im now fully converted to LG i have 3 lg smarts i have a 55 inch 4k (webos) the smart functions are great good picture quality . Sound is not so good but i dont use tv speakers its through a sonos playbar surrounds and sub so sound is not an issue. It also has a netflix and amazon button on the remote :) . I fell out with samsung after the last set i had that was supposed to be upgradeable dropped youtube. It was only 4 years old and bought from john lewis with a 5 year guarantee ,I gave it to my son and soon after it went faulty. After 3 attempts to repair J.Lewis gave a replacement. The original set was £900 they gave him a toshiba 4k 55 inch smart at £550 and to my amazement i got a refund of £350 when the old set was picked up. Either Jlewis fooked up or they have a great guarantee , Oh and the replacement toshiba also came with a new 5 yr guarantee :)

Can you side load apk's on these LG telly's? ie showbox terrarium iptv etc, looking to get a new one shortly and wanting to do away with the
fire tv box.

Can you side load apk's on these LG telly's? ie showbox terrarium iptv etc, looking to get a new one shortly and wanting to do away with the
fire tv box.
I have smart iptv running on mine a 5 euro one off activation on smart iptv app lets you load your lists to your tv mac

Thanks for all the responses

@trevortron
why do you think it is wise to stay clear of the Sony's?

I have dealt with a few Panasonic but none were android and there smart OS was useless. it wasn't open-source so no plex etc. i cant seem to find any android Panasonic tvs online either.

I already have an android box but not a fan of the android TV interface plus i keep forgetting to use it. i have had it about 6 months and used it maybe 3 times where as im always using my 7+ years old Samsung smart tv apps even though they are dog slow.

I'm hearing the new Samsung don't support the smart IPTV apps no longer so im leaning towards the LG's, im not looking for the best just a basic smart tv about 40-50 inch.

Anyone know if the LG's or Samsung can have apps installed without going through the official channels e.g installing from their relevant app stores?
I know both are Open sources so i assume they are? If its a no i take it apps like terrarium TV are out of the question.

Last edited:
I am consistently disappointed with Sony TVs' picture quality given the cost of the things. Having said that they do seem to last well, perhaps they just don't drive their displays so hard.

LG or Samsung all the way, they develop the screens for all other manufacturers, so their pictures will be infinitely better. Also as others have said, you can load smart IPTV app, and have iptv direct on your tv.

LG or Samsung all the way, they develop the screens for all other manufacturers, so their pictures will be infinitely better. Also as others have said, you can load smart IPTV app, and have iptv direct on your tv.

the Samsungs no longer allow the IPTV app

Be smarter than the average Joe :eek: and buy a none smart tv and with the money saved buy a Android box/FireStick ;)

Back