LG Electronics BLU-RAY/HD DVD/ROM/WRITER COMBO SATA BLACK OEM

wow great find

its just finding cheap media now

note it isnt a BD writer or an HD-DVD writer. The only disc it writes in DVD, and it does have lightscribe.

Super Multi Blue Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD-Rom Drive 6x BD-Rom, 3x HD DVD Rom £62.12 inc. VAT

Model GGC-H20L
Type Blu-ray
Internal / External Internal

Speed
Reading DVD-ROM : 16X
CD-ROM : 40X
BD-ROM : 6X
Writing DVD+R : 16X
DVD-R : 16X
DL DVD+R : 4X
CD-R : 40X
DL DVD-R : 4X
Re-writing DVD+RW : 8X
DVD-RW : 6X
CD-RW : 24X
DVD-RAM : 5X

Performance Specifications
Buffer Size 4 MB
Transfer Rate BD-ROM :215.79 Mbits/s (6x) max
DVD-ROM :22.16 Mbytes/s (16x) max
CD-ROM :6,000 kB/s (40x) max
Burst Transfer Rate 1.5 Gbps
Average Access Time BD-ROM :180 ms
DVD-ROM :160 ms

Interfaces/Controllers
SATA Yes

Media Handling
Writing Modes DVD-R SL: Disc at Once and Incremental Recording
DVD-R DL: Disc at Once, incremental Recording and Layer Jump Recoding
DVD-RW: Disc at Once, incremental Recording and Restricted Overwrite
Supported Format BD-ROM/-R/-RE, DVD-ROM, CD-ROM Mode-1, Mode-2 data disc, CD-ROM XA, CD-I, Photo-CD Multi-Session, Video CD, CD-Extra / CD-Text

I think you would need a graphics adapter with an HDMI port in order to watch blu-ray at least. I think HD-DVD can be viewed through any HD connection, but dont quote me on that - am not 100% sure.

As long as your graphics card and monitor supports HDCP you should be able to play over DVI or HDMI. Obviously you won't get sound from the DVI lead...

Having said that Gigabyte have a motherboard coming out (the GA-EG45M-DS2H) motherboard which will play HD content over VGA!

Last edited:
ah yes, much better :)

So HD resoloution over VGA - very impressive. But you wont be playing a blu-ray film over that - they need HDCP.

Still looks like a very powerful mother board, I might get this for my HTPC.

Thats the point, they were playing blu-ray at HD resolutions over VGA - there was no down sampling like you'd get on a non-HDCP DVI cable. The only issue was with the sound playback, due to the Realtek ALC889a audio chipset being unable to talkback to the 'playback software' (windvd, powerDVD were mentioned elsewhere in the article) when decoding 'HD audio'.

However, reading the comments on the article its nothing unusual. HDCP is apparently only needed for digital connections (i.e. DVI-D and HDMI) as the Image Constraint Token is currently not set on any commercial discs.

You can run any resolution you like over VGA. However it will be an analogue signal and not a digital signal so thus give a different picture.

HDCP is the copy protection for most hidef films. Without it, a hi def movie wont play:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdcp

If this board sends an HD signal over VGA it wont carry HDCP with it - you would need at least a vga to hd cable in order to send the signal.

But that seems odd, given the board has an HDMI connection - the article discusses that it sends HDCP over the VGA connection then says it bypasses it?

Very confusing.

Back