Legendary Haynes dies after crash

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
Fulham and England midfield legend Johnny Haynes has died aged 71, following a car crash on Monday.

He was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary but died of his injuries on Tuesday evening.

His wife, who was also in the car, was treated for chest injuries, and the driver of the other vehicle, a 48-year-old man, escaped uninjured.

Haynes spent his whole domestic career at Fulham, and was the first player to earn more than £100 per week.

The club announced that there will be a minute's silence for the man known as "The Maestro" before Saturday's home fixture with Liverpool.

"It is with great regret that the club informs its fans of this very sad news," said a statement from Fulham.

"He was idolised by Fulham supporters and remained at the Cottage throughout his career, despite offers from bigger clubs.

"The thoughts and sympathies of everyone associated with the club are with his family at this time."

Haynes, who joined Fulham as a 17-year-old, was the first player to represent England at every level, and he won 56 caps at senior level.

Born in 1934 in Kentish Town North London, he made 594 league appearances for Fulham before leaving in 1970 to move to South Africa, where he played for Durban City.

It's such a sad day for Fulham. The minute's silence will be very emotional
From H

He had a spell as player-manager after Bobby Robson was sacked in 1968, and is most famous for being the first footballer to earn £100 per week when the maximum wage was abolished in 1961.

During his career with the Cottagers he turned down moves to Tottenham and AC Milan.

Haynes made his England debut in October 1954, scoring one goal in a 2-0 win over Northern Ireland in Belfast.

Anyone who saw him will know what a great player he was. It's a very sad day.
Alan Mullery

He went to the 1954 World Cup as a reserve and also the 1958 and 1962 tournaments.

Haynes became captain of his country in 1960, and a year later he captained England to the Home International trophy, after a 9-3 drubbing of Scotland at Wembley.

Haynes himself was credited with a masterful display in that famous match, including scoring two of the goals.

Alan Mullery, another former Fulham and England great, added: "He was the only reason I went to Fulham as a young boy of 15 leaving school. He was my hero, the captain of England and Fulham.

"The word great rolls off the tongue quite easily these days but he really was. He was the best passer of a ball I have ever seen - I don't know anyone who could pass a ball as accurately.

"Anyone who saw him will know what a great player he was. It's a very sad day. He will never go from my memory."
And Fulham Supporters Trust spokesman Tom Greatrex said: "His dedication, skill, professionalism, grace and charm - both in his playing days and in retirement - serve as a poignant reminder to many of today's footballers about what true greatness really means."

Story from BBC SPORT:
Published: 2005/10/18 20:15:55 GMT
© BBC MMV

Back