Legal Payouts?

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just accidently heard on the radio news (try to avoid it) that someone got 289 million dollar payout, which got me wondering, where do these figures come from??? What's the exact explanation? :)

Thought that was the figure they were claiming, usually start with outrageous amount and then negotiate.
Sensible payouts are worked out on the hard facts,
loss of earnings, adaptions to property necessary as a result of injuries etc. Care that maybe required.
And the not so definite, emotional distress, effect of loss on family etc. Changes to lifestyle unable to play your favourite sport etc.
Which are not so easy to work out.
Generally paid by insurance so can still be quite high sounding

Weedkiller 'doesn't cause cancer' - Bayer

Only in the US do you really hear of amounts like this🤯
This is the highest I've head of, but we have ridiculous payouts over here. I remember hearing many years back that some woman (could have been nhs) was trained for a specific job, and she had to wear certain gloves, which she couldn't wear due to an allergy.
She had a quater of a million??

@wizbit77 I can't see how anyone could possibly need that sort of money? Lol

You may not need it but you ain’t guna turn it down either😋

You may not need it but you ain’t guna turn it down either😋
Lol, oh no, i wouldn't turn it down.
But there's no way to justify it.
There have been many strange payouts amounts for sometimes quite absurd things.
I always suspected that there had to be a conspiracy. The people in charge of awarding the sum, were colluding with the recipient, and they all had a juicy cut. ;)

@dar1437 just read through the article. They awarded him £35 million, that would be the loss of work, suffering etc.
The rest was punitive, i.e. a sum that would be large enough to hurt a big company.
Make them pay attention.
It'll rattle on through appeals. Probably till the poor guys died

There is a conspiracy the lawfirm gets there cut and it won’t be a small amount either.

Personally i know my mate got £300.000 for a car accident that he was in...

Was he badly hurt?
Yes broke/fractured his neck in two parts and nearly died
He was working as a taxi driver, taking a woman to work at Asda around 6am
the lights changed and as he proceeded a car jumped the lights and took off the whole front of his car, hit on his side, engine and all was gone, a few more inches to the left he would of been dead i guess as he would of hit his door where he was sat,
This was about 10yrs ago and has not fully recovered.

Back